1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Marcus Miller CD?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Buzz, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I caught the tail end of a trio featuring Marcus Miller this past Saturday night on TV (I think PBS) and began to think I need to pick up a Marcus CD. I hit Circuit City and Best Buy and they both had pretty small Jazz sections. All I found was "Silver Rain".
    Searching online revealed "Tales", "The Sun Don't Lie" and "Silver Rain". For those in the know, which of these can you recommend to a guy who leans more towards "mass appeal?" I was most impressed with Marcus Millers playing, what little I saw. Thank you for you help.

Buzz

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I think Silver Rain is the easiest to listen to personally.

3. i really like M[SUP]2[/SUP]

4. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Any Marcus cd has plenty of gems. An old Lenny White cd, Streamline,
    was one of the first recordings MM was on and it's serious funky.
    Chronological from there may be a good approach,Ha!

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That'd be my pick of the bunch for Marcus, although I'm not a huge fan, I think thats his best work by a good long way.

Mind you, I really wanna check out his cheesey looking 80's stuff...I'm obsessed with the 80s.

6. Any of his solo CDs are worth getting

Tales
    The Sun Don't Lie
    Live & More
    M2
    The Ozell Tapes(more songs than "Live & More")
    Silver Rain

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm a huge Marcus fan, but those first two 80's solo albums might disappoint you. Marcus was going for a more pop/vocal thing with those.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sounds like fun, I dig that kinda thing, and shockingly, I'm not ashamed to say so! I mean, "Sooner of Later" by Graham Central Station is one of the best songs I've ever heard, and it's all 80's electronica!

9. We want Miles

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    My personal fav is "The sun don´t lie". I like almost all the tunes in that record.

11. Bobbo's Picks-
    1) The Sun Don't lie
    2) M2

12. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

+1 i'm still woodshedding from that cd!

13. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Also, there were 2 records by Jamaica Boys, which were MM, Lenny White,Bernard Wright and others. They were songish w/ a few instrumentals. More popish in general and killer grooves.

14. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    First, thank you for all the replies. I think I'm just going to pick up Silver Rain. Not to cop out but locally, it's all that's available.
    I might check Borders to see if they carry any of the other titles mentioned. Thanks again!

Buzz

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    A whole lotta love for the Jamaica Boys!! Some of my favorite 80's music....brings back some good times.:cool:

16. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada

+1

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If I was to only get one Marcus CD, I would choose the double live 'Ozell Tapes' CD.... it is a very raw, real sounding concert tour tape right off the mixing board, and has all the hits. If you really want to hear what Marcus really sounds like, this is it IMO!

18. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    +1. My copy is signed by Marcus and Mike Stern. What age was Marcus on this one again? Barely out of his teens?

The Ozell Tapes are great as well. Also, while its only one track hearing Victor and Marcus on Live Across America is cool. I can hardly do Teen Town finger style while Marcus slaps the poop out of it.

19. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I think I read about this a while back. If memory serves, it was taped with a portable mini disc player! (Don't quote me.)

Buzz

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA

+1 and still pretty good, as it shows Marcus when he was raw.

Another good one is Tom Browne's "Funkin' for Jamaica"...I think Marcus was 17 or something when they recorded that album