which mic pre??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Dec 25, 2005.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok so im in the market for a good mic pre. Right now im lookin at the focusrite octo pre. The advantages are that i already have a DIGI002 so i could use the adat card and have 16 simaltaneous inputs which would be sweet. For the money this seems to be my best choice. Anyone used this pre or have any other suggestions?
  2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Coming in slightly cheaper, and with ADAT outs and built-in limiting and individual phantom power on each channel is the Digimax LT from Presonus. It sounds great, and has some amazing features in the price range. I'm not sure how it stands up to the Focusrite pres sonically, although I know that the pres on the octo pre aren't focusrite's top of the line. Are you stuck on having 8 more inputs?
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    well i figure if i had only one optical in i might as well take advantage of it, id like it to be 8 ins. I know SM pro audio just came out with a card that is only like $200, but im kinda trying to go with quality pre's. Your right the focusrite platinum isnt their best pre's but pretty much anything focusrite touches is pretty hot that ive come into contact with. Their whole platinum series is still pretty great stuff. Thanks for the suggestion about the presonus, ill check that out. Any other suggestions or experience with the octo pre is appreciated.
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've had a little use with the Octopre. IIRC, it never really liked to work with Condensor mics that well. Usually we just patched the dynamics from micing drums and cabs through it. For what we used it for, it was great. If you're looking for a stellar all-around piece, I wouldn't think this would be it.
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've never used the Octopre, but I second the Presonus Digimax suggestion.