Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which one? EA CXL 112L or Whizzy 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5bassman, Jun 23, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I read what I could find here on Talkbass but still not sure which I need. I just purchased a iAmp 350 combo here on Talkbass and want an ext cab to go with it. I like to get that tight, lowend sound but don't need or like my pants legs flapping in the wind. Which would handle that low B well but not vibrate the drums off the stage?
    Jeff

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Is the 350 stable at 2 ohm? I thought I read somewhere that it would only go down to 4 as it had a differing power section that the 800/500/200. I might be wrong about that though.

If it isn't 2 ohm stable that weans out the Whizzy as its 4 ohm.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that amp is only stable to 4 ohm, so Kael's right, that probably rules out the Wizzy. Which is a shame, because tonally, I'd rather add a Wizzy to my CxL-110 than a CxL-112. The Wizzy adds some nice warmth and fullness. The CxL-112 on the other hand, goes deeper, but is actually less full through the mids. The CxL-112 is also more precise and articulate than the Wizzy, but the CxL-110 (and your 350 Combo) are pretty darn good in that regard, too.

I might suggest that you try adding an NL-210, for some additional fullness and warmth. Or maybe a VL-110.

Tom.

4. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    thanks for your help and pointing out my 4 ohm limit. Didn't notice that!

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Instead of speculation, please email gary@euphonicaudio.com for a definitive answer

Mike

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've talked to Gary about the 350 and he assured me that it has no problem driving a 2 ohm load. And it doesn't, based on my experience. I've used it with a Wizzy a number of times on long gigs with no issues whatsoever.

To answer your question, I prefer the CXL110, myself. It matches up beautifully with the other 10 and makes for a killer, compact rig.

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Oops, I stand corrected. Sorry.

8. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Well, this is going to take some thinking. I wish there was somewhere nearby to try them out. I worry that the CXL 110 will give me enough low end.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm using two CXL110's this weekend with the 350 combo. If you're in Southern Cal, PM me and you can come hear for yourself! ;)

I think you'd be very surprised at the low end with two of those cabs...

10. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Wish I could but gotta work and too far away. Well, I'm not in a big hurry to get an extra cab so I've got time. Thanks again for your help!
    Jeff

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just got my wizzy. Here are some clips of the wizzy vs the clx112. After recording I realized that the tweeter for the clx was at 9:00. I probably should have cranked it open.....

Wizzy
    CLX-112