1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which One?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EatS1stBassist, Nov 24, 2017.

Which One

Poll closed Nov 27, 2017.
  1. Ampeg Micro VR

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Ampeg Portaflex PF 350

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    my bass head recently took its last dive a 600 watt Acoustic. Although not playing out anymore on bass I still want to play through my old SWR Triad 4ohm Cab. Retired with very limited income. I was looking at two different Ampegs, the small retro Micro VR? Or the Portaflex PF350? Thanks

Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the tone of the micro vr more but the PF will have more volume on tap. Compared to the 600 watts (though probably overrated) you are used to, the VR will be too quiet.

Out of those two, The PF UNLESS you are just playing by yourself, then I do love the Micro VR.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    They're essentially the same preamp, but the PF350 has another 150 watts. I like the retro look of the micro VR, but I'd struggle to gig with it, so the PF gets the nod from me.

4. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Portaflex is cooler. Only reason to do anything when you are retired.

tonequixote, JRA and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool sentiment! are you retired?

6. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Yes

JRA likes this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    this one 'cause when I want the retro look, I' ll get a V4B or look into a mirror :roflmao:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

JRA and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    :laugh::roflmao::laugh:!

9. I like my PF350 and vote for that. Don’t be afraid to turn the master past 12:00 to get some volume out of it.

10. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Mostly for by myself play with a small amount of Rehearsing.

11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Not buying to look retro as evidenced by my other choice. LOL Both heads sound great! But after A/B ing them Tone reigns. My criteria is low cost and light. BTW Back in the 70’s I hefted an SVT W/ a 9/10 always loved that amp. I do know the incredible tone of that all tube amp. Balz City:bassist::hyper::bassist: Thanks for your help and input everyone:thumbsup: Have a Happy HoliBass

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017