Which pick-up to combine with WM12?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by vlado, Dec 29, 2007.

1. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Hi!
    I know you get a lot of threads dealing with more or less same or similar questions about pick-ups for DB but I couldn't find any thread mentioning the amp I'm using. So I have to ask specifically which pick-up would you recommend to be combined with my SWR WM12.
    I must say I just started with the DB a year ago, no gigs yet. Now that I'm starting with a new project with a classical guitarist and a drummer I realized I'd much rather like to use DB than my fretless. I was thinking of Realist 'cause a friend is using it and it sounds good but I don't know would it sound that well on my amp or is there some better pick-up to use with it.
    Thanks a lot!

2. As long as you use a buffering preamp, you can use any pickup.
    The input impedance of the WM12 is probably too low for a piezo pickup, so a buffering preamp will provide the necessary interface.
    Get a look at Fdeck's hi-pass/preamp.
    There's a whole thread about his unit here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346669

Regards,
    François

3. Caoimhín

Caoimhín Langer

Jul 26, 2007
    Wicklow, Ireland
    Hi Francois/vlado,

Unfortunately according to his website Fdeck no longer delivers outside the US as of last November. Pity

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The Fishman Platinum EQ does the impedance matching you want. It has a few other handy features too.

5. I've used a WM12 scince '95 for DB with an underwood and the realist along with a Baggs Para DI was my rig of choice till I picked up a Clarus III and a Wizzy 10 for weight (tired of carrying stuff or making 2 trips) I still love the Workingman though,best value out there .

6. Maybe he's just waiting for CE certification?

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Great unit. I don't even play upright and I am tempted to have on for my electric. When I did play upright I ued one and it was great. I used a K&K Bass Max pickup.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021