Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which power amp should i get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Dec 25, 2005.

1. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    So right now my setup is...GK 1001RB-II, ampeg 8x10e-av, and im running an RBI through it to warm it up some. The only problem is that my GK clips too much when i play loud and i cant quite get enough volume and punch to compete with 2 guitarists (duel Rectifiers) and an insanely loud drummer. We play loud punk/hardcore and id like to take a look at trying a power amp with my rbi instead. Ive been looking at the QSC PLX series (mainly for weight reasons), but i dont know which model or how much wattage im going to need to fully power my 810s and have lots of headroom. Also does any one know of any power amps with both 1/4 and speakon for the output? thanks alot, looking forward to replies.

2. I'd recommend Stewart. I'm using the World 1.6 with a Sansamp RBI. It sounds great, weighs 16 pounds, and at 1,600 watts bridged mono it would provide plenty of power to drive your 8x10.

3. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Thanks dave, i will check that out for sure; any other opinions out there?

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I think a great deal depends on what you're willing to spend and how much weight you're willing to haul.
    Poweramps range from 5 to 55+ lbs. and anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
    I think the QSC PLX series of amps offer a great ballance of weight, power and price.
    Everyone has their favorites but the QSCs are very high quality products.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd can definitely recommend the QSC PLX1602. It's light, very dependable and has excellent head room when bridged. I picked mine up a few months ago to go with a Demeter 201S and have been very satisfied. I previously owned a Stewart 1.6 amp and they also have a great sound and are very light. The main reason that I sold the Stewart is because of the 20-30 second delay at start up. We momentarily lost power a couple of times during gigs and although it was just a few seconds before the mains and guitar amps came back on, the band continued without bass for 20-30 seconds (which felt like forever). That's the only negative thing I can think of concerning the Stewart amps.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like my stewart world 1.2 (1200w into 4ohms) , but in bridge mode you need banana plugs on the end of your first wire. not hard to do, just ask radio shack or guitar shop to mod your cord if you can't do it yourself.

IT WILL BE WORTH THE TROUBLE!

Don't be afraid to fight fire with fire.... Turn up your M-I-D-S-!

7. Everyone says that Crest CA series power amps are the best. never tried one, though.

8. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Ok so ive narrowed it down to the Qsc Plx series, but im wondering which model would best suit my needs with the Ampeg 810e-av, and the RBI, im kind of new with this whole wattage too cabinet/ impededance thing. ????

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    An amp having twice the RMS rating of the cab is the usual recommendation.

10. I'm suprised noone has mentioned the fact that the 1001RB-II is an insanely loud amp with headroom and punch for days. So I'd personally try to figure out exactly why the amp is clipping at high volumes. I can't get my GK to clip at all at immensely loud volumes.

Remember power ratings don't always mean everything. A RBI/Poweramp setup might end up having less headroom and/or volume than your standalone GK.

Take the RBI out of the chain and run the GK by itself to see if it clips at the same volume. Also, remember that if you're cranking the blend on your RBI your gonna be losing a lot of low mids (where the punch is at), and make sure you don't have the contour knob on the GK boosted or you'll be cutting mids there also.

These small things might save you from blowing a large sum of money for nothing.

11. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I wholeheartedly agree with what NeedMoney says. The GK 1001 should be pretty loud especially into the Ampeg 8x10. I'm thinking by running the RBI into the head it's causing the input voltage to be too high for the GK. Are you using an active pickup bass, too? This might compound the problem even further. Maybe try running the RBI on an effects loop or something if you are looking to add distortion/overdrive to your sound. these are just suggestions, though. The RBI is a bass preamp, not an effects processor. It kinda sounds like you are running 1 bass preamp into the other preamp section of your GK head. Try taking the RBI out of the chain altogether...only use the GK. By the way, I have the QCS PLX-3002. It's fabulous. Light weight. Very powerful. I have plenty of headroom. I also play punk/hardcore and metal music, so I know what it's like to need LOTS of volume! :D

12. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have the crest CA6 which is great. I a/b'd it when I bought it. It was that and the QSC1602. I know its just a power amp, but the CA was punchier and had a more focused bottom. Unfortunately I heard Peavy bought them out and I have seen some other lighter power amps. But I don't think they touched the existing amps. Its heavy but worth the weight.

13. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    I ran the GK by itself for awhile when i had a 410 cab, it didnt clip or anything then, but i decided that the gk head doesnt have the tone im looking for, it sounds too sterile too me so i bought the Rbi to warm up the sound and it worked, i just still cant get the punch/ volume i need. It is also true that it is running through the gks pre amp. Is there any way to bypass that? Would running it through the effects loop work?

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah...GK heads are known for being really High-Tech, sterile sounding. I'd try out the Effects loop idea...it's worth a shot before you go out and overhaul your rig. You thinking about a Tube Amp in the future? :eek:

15. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    I tried the effects loop with the RBI, but couldnt get it to work. I dont have the 1001rb manual so if someone could tell me how to hook it up that would be awesome! thanks

16. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Try the output of the RBI into the fx return on the GK. If that's still too hot, try the fx send on the RBI into the return on the GK.

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    GK has their manuals available online.

If you want to bypass the pre-amp of the GK, then just put the RBI into the "FX Return" jack instead of the "Input" jack.

I can't imagine that a 1001RB-II with an Ampeg fridge not being loud enough. Maybe you're boosting too much bass and cutting the mids, eating up headroom and volume? Let us know what the EQ settings are - cutting bass will let you get louder, and boosting the mids will increase your presence in the band setting.

Also, as others suggested, make sure it's your power amp that clipping - not your pre-amp. Your pre-amp will clip from recieving too hot a signal. Your power-amp will clip when it runs out of headroom.

18. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Hey, i just tried this and i cant get any sound to come out. :confused:

19. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Try putting one end of a patch lead into the fx send of the GK, that might be needed to activate the loop. That GK should be damn loud though, 700W @ 4 Ohms. I think you were probably clipping the input before.