Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which power conditioner?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    which furman power conditioner should i get? i don't know much about them. thanks!

2. the one you can afford

don't confuse a power "conditioner' with a transformer or an Uninterupptible Power Supply - think of it as a standard power strip that fits nicely into your rack. I chose a model with pull out lights and a dimmer control - handy when your at a gig, very low lighting, and you need to see something on your FX unit that the LCD doesn't report

I have a Furman something-or-other 8 way in one rack and a Chandler something-or-other 12 way in another rack. Both have lights with dimmer control. I have Tripp Lite UPS's to plug those into. The UPS's cannot keep me going during an extended power failure but they do allow me to perform a "gracefu"' shutdown when a failure occurs

there's a lot of hype about power conditioners - most of it is BS

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    are they worth the money then?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Not in my opinion.

5. they are worth the convenience when you have multiple devices in a rack and you don't want a wad of cables hanging out of the back, and the lights have been useful to me when I had to tend to some recalcitrant hardware on a dimly-lit stage. If these scenarios do not aply to you then buy some new strngs and instrument cables instead

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I agree. A $2 power strip with a circuit breaker and a small Maglite (2 AA cells) serve the same purpose for me.

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my road rig also includes a $4 outlet tester. I bought that right after the first time I experienced the blue spark jumping from the microphone ball to my upper lip!