which preamp and piezo to match with my setup?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bjazzman, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    currently using a schaller magnetic pickup and i have a realist but it's not installed. the reason i still want to use the schaller is because i play though some effects. currently i use eurosonics as my string of choice.

so i need a preamp that can blend both the magnetic and piezo

and wondering if i should get a full circle pickup or stick with the realist

thanks!

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Try the pickup you have first, if you get unsatisfactory results, try something else.

As for preamps, there are many. You don't need a special preamp to blend the two, just a preamp with high enough impedance to properly buffer the piezo pickup. So any of the commonly used ones will work:

K&K Dual Channel Pro
    LR Baggs MixPro
    DTAR Solstice
    Radial PZ-PRE
    K&K Quantum Blender
    et al...

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    I've successfully mixed a piezo and mag with a couple of different small Soundcraft and Mackie mixers. My go to for years though was a Raven Labs PMB. That's no longer being made but the D-TAR Solstice seems close in function.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021