which rounds for smooth feel and piano clarity?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Jul 20, 2016.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I've got a 5 string that I'm looking to put new strings on. The bass sounds fantastic, but has a good bit of meat in the mids and low mids that seem to really benefit from strings with that taut, piano like clarity.

Some of the strings I've tried in the past that attempt to do this have suffered from lack of flexibility/stiffness, and feel issues in general, so I'm wondering what is out there that feels smooth and supple, but offers that great clear piano string tone?

thx

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    BigDanT likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    DR Pure Blues feel very nice and smooth, but still have that DR sound, might be worth a try.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They're very light but it's a special kind of lightness. They're supple and springy and responsive in a totally unique way.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Would love to try the TI's. It's an expensive experiment but who knows. I'm not one for super light feel, the TI flats don't work for me, due to tension. But it all depends on the overall feel of the set for me. Might give them a whirl

6. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Piano? Rotosound PSD99. used ot be called Superwound and have an exposed core at the bridge. Very clear string.

MoonChild2112 likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Smooth feeling? DR Sunbeams.
    Piano clarity? Dunlop SuperBright Nickels.

Dunlops will be a little rougher feeling, but that's where you get your clarity. Sunbeams are smoother feeling but definitely darker. It's a trade off. Both are very supple feeling/low tension.

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Kalium Hybrid Set. Nice, smooth feel and remarkable clarity, especially on the lower strings when you're higher up on the fretboard (around the 10-12th fret or so).

J.Wolf likes this.
  9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I used to use circle K/Kaliums pretty exclusively, but havent tried them on this bass yet. Maybe will give them a shot. The balanced .136 hybrid sets is one of my all time faves. a .136 B that is super quick and flexible but sounds YOOJ. love it.

10. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I used to use CKs as well. The balanced set worked great on my 6 string, but I found their traditional set worked better on my 5.

J.Wolf likes this.
  11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Don't forget Elixirs - Coated for smoothness, round for clarity. Nice strings.

MoonChild2112 and msiner like this.
  12. rvrctybassmn

rvrctybassmn

Jun 18, 2016

13. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i don't think those 2 things go together ...

for smooth rounds , i use GHS Pressurewounds ...

if i want Piano , ... i'll play the piano .. !

aaronious likes this.
  14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Pressurewounds are great, I really like them for that "in between-ness" of vibes. But I need more bite on this bass.

You should totally play piano. I'll keep looking for strings ;)

15. rvrctybassmn

rvrctybassmn

Jun 18, 2016
    I have used dr high beams on my p bass. They last for a verrrrrry long time, great sustain, and bright. Excellant on flexibility and very easy on your fingers.

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    DR high beams are like Olive Garden for me. I will look for all kinds of other stuff on the road, but when I get hungry enough, I'm REALLY glad to see them :)

They might actually work pretty well for this goal, although I don't find them to be super clear and articulate in the mids. They are so in the upper mids and have good treble, but the lows are not super taut sounding in my book. Worth a shot perhaps...

17. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    GHS PROGRESSIVES super smooth as are DR DRAGON SKINS.

18. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I'm a big believer that every bass requires a different set of strings to get the sound you want. I have a set of Fodera SS on my Smith which seem close to fitting what you are looking for.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  19. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I Like the Fodera strings, but for a while there was having MAJOR QC issues with them. a dead string in every other pack for a while, and they got tired of my asking for replacements (reasonably), so I moved on. But I liked the strings quite a bit