1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which should I upgrade first?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crcantley, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Hey all. Firstly, this seems like a really great community. I'm glad I found it.

I will be coming into a little money soon and I'm thinking about upgrading a little from my beginner equipment to somewhat intermediate.
    I have an ESP LTD B-104 and a Behringer BXL-900. I know for sure that I want a new bass. This one just doesn't suit my tastes in the least. Something like a Yamaha RBX4 or a MIM Jazz would be right in my wheelhouse.
    But, I could also afford a second-hand Ampeg combo from ebay, but not both. I guess my question is, "Taking which path would give me a better bang for my buck?" Or, perhaps, which is crappier... the ESP or the Behringer? :confused:

Thanks.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here's a link you may want to check out:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55969 Upgrade bass or amp first?

Based on what I read about your bass and amp, I'd suggest upgrading your amp if you will be playing in a band in the near future. The bass got decent reviews on Harmony Central.

Also, if you haven't had your bass setup lately, I suggest getting a pro to do it. May make a big difference in playability/tone.

3. Thanks for the link. I'll be checking that out in depth shortly.

I did actually have it set up when I got it. It plays ok, but the MIM Fender 5-string I have just sounds so much better to me.

Maybe with a new amp, it would be better. I've scoped out some second-hand amps lately and the Ampeg B115 looks like a pretty decent deal to me. Sadly, I can't try it out before I buy since we only have two music shops around here and one is short on bass equipment and the other is short on everything.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Amp

Unless you see no possible use for it and you use your bass. e.g. school band with the school's amp or something

5. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Why not just get a new amp and play your 5 string exclusively if you like the sound?

6. Ah, should have mentioned that. I play with a pick maybe 20% of the time and I wrap my thumb around the neck to mute the E string quite a bit. Also, a four string neck just feels better to me. I usually only use the 5-string when I have to.

7. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Sell it all and upgrade your amp and bass at the same time! The amp would definitely be first on the list of needs, then the bass could be swapped if desired. How big a room are you planning on filling in the next 2 years? How big a room have you played in yet?

8. rjr225

rjr225

Nov 23, 2008
    ma.
    It sounds like your main axe is the 4 - string. I can tell you that before i went to a five string i really loved my Ampeg B115.Not so much tho w/ the 5 string.