Which stays in tune better?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, May 31, 2018.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Hi all

After playing, across a variety of music, bowing, or when returning to playing, after a day, I find my E string out of tune more so than the rest (using Helicore Orchestras, Medium, 4 strings). Not by much, but enough to notice when checked against a digital tuner.

Is this typical because of string thickness/tension OR should I get someone to look over my DB for any possible related issues?

Apologies if in wrong forum!

Regards to all

2. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    Which way is it out of tune? Always flat? Always sharp? Lower strings are usually more sensitive to temperature/humidity variations

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Flat, Neil, in the main.

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    How old are the strings?

5. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    I find this pretty normal.
    The most stable strings I have played on is evah medium. These are my absolute preference for opera since the pit tends to be less than stellar causing strings to go high or low during acts.

6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Strings are not old, less than 12 months on light use (man, it's starting to sound like it belongs in the classifieds!)

7. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    If nothing seems to be changing (string height, sound etc) I don't think I'd be worrying

8. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Consider that the break angle over the nut is much higher for the E-string than the other strings. Even if the "E" nut slot is carved perfectly, there will still be more friction than with the other strings.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021