Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which strings on your Roscoe ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello to all Roscoehead !

Well my Roscoe LG3005 came 4 weeks ago with the usual D'addario XL on it. I've never played before with nickel strings and have always favored stainless strings but I must admit that I like the feel of those D'addario.
    Anyway, I noticed that with time and brightness passing by, I have to regularly add some treb. on my bass eq to find my slap tone, something that I have never done til now with stainless strings.:)

So question do you think D'addario stainless could pair well with a ash/maple bodier birdseye maple necked Roscoe ?

Which strings do you favor on your Roscoe and why ?

Thanks guies

Sheers

Shiveringbass

2. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    I just picked up some Ken Smith stainless steels for my Roscoe SKB 3005. The body is cedar and buckeye burl, and Nickel strings are way to mellow for my tatses. The stainless strings really give it more of the punch that I like.

- E.

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've only used the D' Addario XLs except for one set which I used Rotosound Swing bass on my SKB-3006. They sucked big time. They felt like raiser blades on my skin compared to the D" Addarios.

Sorry I'm not much help.

4. I have tried many different strings on my LG-3005 in my search for the perfect slap tone. Stainless strings are definitely better than nickel. DR Highbeams are my favorite with Ken Smith Stainless a close 2nd. I was not impressed with the D'Addario Pro Steels. (I also switched out the Bartolini pre-amp with a Demeter. That made a tremendous difference.)

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I like the feel of the D'Addario's myself, but the tone is just so-so on a Roscoe. I think that SS do better on Roscoes personally, and the ones that I've liked the best have been the Zon Ultrasonics. Currently, I'm using the D'Addario Nickels just because I have so many sets that I bought for so cheap.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Me too. I got about 5 sets of strings for my 6 string at a "Going Out of Business" sale.

I'm going to have to try a stainless set.

7. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    The problem is that Ken smith are not available in France and DRs are quite expensive (45 €, about 50 $).
    Will D'addorio pro steel whave the same touch as XL one ?
    What are the differences between Demeter preamp and Bart 3 ways ?
    I like my Bart because of its great versatility with its 2 frequencies midrange.

Peace

Shiveringbass

8. The Demeter is also a 3 band (lows,mids,highs) with a two way switch for the mids. It is brighter sounding than the Bart. On my Roscoe, I never could get a very good slap tone with the Bartolini pre-amp. The Demeter changed that dramatically.

9. RCLefty

RCLefty

Sep 8, 2005
    My lefty LG3005 typically will have SS on, although I now have Ernie Ball Nickels on it now. To me, these, or most nickel strings yield a great combination of brightness for slap and mega bottom for mega bottom and everything in between with the stock Bart pre-amp. I do wipe them off after every song, or asap. But that's just what works for me. I have found Keith Roscoe to be VERY helpful with Roscoe questions. I would consider him the final word on which strings for which body woods, etc.(at least for Roscoes).

:bassist: :cool:

10. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm using DR Highbeams on both my fretted and fretless SKB3006 basses. Fantastic tone and they last forever.
    Best strings I've used so far.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Demeter does certainly change things on a Roscoe, and it allows them to be more open and less dark. I do prefer the Nickels with the Demeter version though. I prefer the SS on the Bart and Aggies though.

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've tried them all at one time or another (DR Hi Beams & Lo Rider, Thomastik, D'addario nickel & SS, GHS boomers, Smith SS, Elixir...) and went full circle back to the stock D'addario XL nickels. They feel good, have nice midrange & are EASY on the frets and pocket book. I also used the D'addario Slow Wounds for several years until they were discontinued. Great sounding string! I've never had a problem getting a nice tone with nickel strings (even when they are a couple of months old). Opinions on the sound and feel of strings certainly are subjective but I will say that after exlusively using the D'addario XL nickels on one of my Roscoe's for over 3 years, the frets had virtually no fret wear.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I can see where Halftooth is coming from. The Bart and Aggie pre's are much darker sounding pre's (especially the Bart) compared to the Demeter. I have to roll off the highs on a Roscoe equiped with a Demeter pre even with the D'addario nickel strings. IMO, the Aggie (the OBP-3) has a much more hi-fi sound than the Bart. The highs aren't as glassy as the Demeter but they aren't nearly as harsh as the Bart. Based on your comments, I suspect that if you changed the Bart pre to a Demeter you'd really like the D'addario XL nickels on your Roscoe.

14. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    For Ken smith users, which one do you use on your Roscoe 35", Rock master or Rockmaster xtra long scale ?
    I don't like all taper core sets cause they force you to completly set up your bass...

Thanks for your help

Shivering bass

15. The untapered Ken Smith Rock Masters from Musicians Friend are what I use. They are more than long enough. One bummer though, they recently went up by $10.