1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Thomann Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SidMau, Nov 2, 2013.

1. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    Hello all! I am currently in the market for my first upright bass after being an electric player for a few years. I have been doing some research and have indeed used the search feature several times on my search and have concluded that for my needs and location (England), Thomann is probably the way to go for my purchase. Also, I am looking specifically at the Strunal models, to be more specific.

My options, as of right now, are:
    Thomann 1E http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_1_e_34.htm
    Thomann 1E TN http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_double_bass_europe_1e_tn_3_4.htm
    Thomann 2W http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_2_wr_34.htm
    Thomann 2W TN http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_2w_tn_34_europe_double_bass.htm

I've come to a bit of a problem, though, in my lack of knowledge. I'm aware of the differences between laminated and hybrid in general, but not to a great extent. Is a fully laminated more durable than a hybrid, or are they essentially the same in that aspect? I know that the hybrid sounds better... more dynamic and rich in overtones and harmonics, that is, and thus am currently leaning towards the hybrids, but I wasn't positive. Also, for reference, I am living in England right now and will be moving back to Wisconsin in the states in the next few years (not exactly sure when) and the climate there can be anything from -20ºF to 100ºF - those being the extremes, and it gets to be relatively humid there too. Also, as I'm sure is clear, I'm not sure about the tineo wood used in the higher priced instruments. From what I've gathered, its considered to be a more resonant and better tone wood, but how much different is it? Thomann's site only has sound files for the regular spruce-constructed bass (the 2W), so I wasn't able to get a direct comparison. Is it worth the extra £200?

As far as what I expect to be playing, I will definitely be playing pizz the majority of the time, but I will probably purchase a bow as well and expect to use it from time to time.

Thus, as I have said before, I am leaning towards the hybrid basses, but am not sure if thats exactly what I want. I also don't wish to spend more than I have to, so I'd like to know if the tineo-constructed instrument is worth the investment.

Thanks all!

2. Get the Thomann 2W TN
    (or the quilted maple one)

The carved tops offer more upward room in the growth of your sound making potential. especially with the bow. Looks matter, and the Tineo is prettier IMO than the regular wood used. These european prices on that site are so low the extra 200euro is almost nothing. Just get the top of the line. Here the bottom of the line Strunal, bought from a proper bass shop, costs more that 2W TN that you posted. Shipping is expensive!

As far as moving back to the USA. IMO, once you research the prices involved in buying a hard case and shipping, you may end up selling your bass there, and buying another one in North America (at the higher prices). If you want, investigate the removable neck options. My tip, take advantage of those super low European prices and just get the top of the line model. Budget for local setup and needed accessories, (bag, wheel, bow, amplification system).

3. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    +1!!!!!

4. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response! So it seems that the hybrid is the better choice. And I forgot about the quilted maple one, so... Tineo or quilted maple? Do they sound similar or does each have a unique voice?

Oh, also, for moving back - my family is currently in the UK as expats for my mother's job - the moving is paid for by the company and our objects will be shipped between sea and air with insurance - that is not a worry. The problems I was foreseeing more were concerned with the climate changes

5. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Comparing a Tineo and a quilted maple bass side by side the Tineo one is more resonant. I made this check twice, each time with a different couple of basses and keeping all the other parameters equal (strings, bridge's height, soundpost and endpin). The Tineo one offers more volume and more sustain, albeit the difference is not big.

6. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for the insight Mikman! I have another question, I think. If cost becomes more of an issue for this, would you recommend the regular 2w or 1e tn? I'm assuming that I probably won't be able to go for the 2w tn simply due to extra purchases of a bow, case, and probably strings

7. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    The regular one is discernibly inferior to the Tineo laminated. In this product line the QM and the TN are by far the best basses and they worth the extra cost.

8. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    That helps a lot! Thanks Mikman!

9. SRL

SRL

Jun 23, 2010
    Italy
    Has anyone any experience of the Mastri Hybrid DB (http://classic.bassico.eu/77/182?l=en) available from www.bassico.eu? I'm wondering how it might compare to the Thomann 2W TN 3/4 (http://www.thomann.de/it/thomann_2w_tn_34_europe_double_bass.htm).

Bottom line is I have a fully carved 4/4 that I'm trying to use to do everything (and struggling with arco vs pizz response). I'm wondering about getting a second instrument to use for orchestra work or jazz work depending on how they compare.

Any thoughts would be welcome.