1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which thumbrest?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hallo, Mar 6, 2008.

1. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    I've decided to put a thumbrest on my '51 RI p-bass. The main factor is that there is already a hole for 1 in the pickguard. I've found a guy who custom makes them as I'm after the single screw one. Anyway onto the main point, its sunburst with a slightly stained/stressed white pickguard. As i like the look of this I think a brand spanking new black/ebony thumbrest might look out of place. So the quesion is do i go for a natural wood colour one or do i go for his suggestion which is to paint a maple one black and then wear off some of the paint?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong board.

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I don't think I've ever seen a single-screw thumbrest...

Have one made out of a wood that either doesn't require a finish (EI rosewood, bloodwood, ebony, cocobolo, pau ferro, etc.) and just leave it unfinished, or finish it in tung oil... less "shiny" looking... you could even shape it with fine sandpaper to make it look "broken in".

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I vote maple painted black like the good old days.

4. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I would say do a rosewood or something similar...a natural wood that wouldnt necesarily need paint but would not stick out like a sore thumb

5. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    I've gone for the maple and i'll paint it black like the originals, Not sure on which type paint yet? Maybe a thin layer of gloss and then wear a little off? Any suggestions? If any others need to know where to get a single screw thumbrest then PM, he pretty much makes them out of any decent wood. Got mine shipped for a total of £9.