1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which to get for £800 budget?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ironderby, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Fender 1970's precision sunburst

79 vote(s)
    64.8%
  2. Ibanez SRT900dx

11 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Music Man Sterling Ray34

16 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. Other

16 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    What kind of music do you play? What tone are you looking for? What are you neck preferences like?

My personal opinion is any one but the Ibby. Two very different beasts though.

2. I'd go for a jazz bass, and install an S-1 switch. I know some people hate it, but I love mine. It does a P bass tone VERY well.

3. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    It does depend on what kind of music you want to play. I think the most versatile instrument would be the Ibanez; you could cover the most sonic ground with it. It's nicely made too.

The Fender has a "026"model number. Is it made in Japan?

Any of them would be a nice bass though.

4. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    I'd go for the P (a classic) or the ibby (Ibby's are nice solid bass, different looking with a nice wood selection, and you must love the EMGs pickups and onboard pre)...

I've tried the sterling by musicman and prefer much the real musicman... they doesn't sound the same at all, less output and in your face sound and I would pile more money to get a real Ray choosing to go with that kind... so this one would be my last choice...

IMO

5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    You've got three fairly different sounding and uniquely voiced instruments there.

I like the Ibanez the best. The Ray's are nice but I personally like more variety than a single p/u can offer.

The MIM 70's basses are ok but the necks are not as nice as the MIJ and MIA stuff and even the standard mim basses. IMO, IME.

So I'd say go for the ray or the Ibby depending on your tonal goals.

6. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I'd pick up a MusicMan SUB WAAAY before I'd even touch the newer Ray34 series basses. Phenomenal build, phenomenal value. For a 800 euro budget, though, I think you could do much better used...

For 800 euros you should be able to find MIA Fenders in great condition!

7. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

I'd go for the original 70's sunburst Precision because I had one (1971) and it's a killer. but it cost me about $3000.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    My gut says go with the Ray as they've impressed me with their build quality at that price-point. The precision wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I think you might be getting a little bit of 'survey noise' for the P from people thinking it's a vintage instrument.

9. This. There are some fantastic bargains to be found at the moment if you are happy to go used. Don't know if they are your bag or not but I'v seen quite a few Warwick Thumbs going for around £600-£700 of late.