Which uncolored amp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Flat Bass, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am playing my upright alot now. I am conviced that the feedback and weird tones are from my current SWR and Eden heads. I am thinking about the Acoustic Image new 600w version. Is it great for upright? It is very uncolored tone?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    What sort of feedback? Pickup? Cabinet?
  3. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Low end feedback, K&K bass max, I was hoping to get a Acoustic image head of some sort and use it on my SWR workingmans 1-10 cabinent.
  4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I answered you questions to my question?
  5. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Good thought on the AI Focus. I had that little SWR cab and it was okay for upright but a little on the thin side (better than many cabs, though!). I'm running a Bergantino 1x12 and it mates up great with the Focus (well, Clarus for now...getting a Focus), which should also work well with your K&K...it's great with my Underwood.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sorry -- was out of town for a week.

Low end feedback -- are you playing with the cabinet on the floor? If so, put it on a milk crate or chair or something. You might have the bass cranked up higher than it needs to be. Get someone to play your rig and go out front and see what the tone is like.

The K&K shouldn't bee too prone to feedback. Perhaps it could also be that your bass is too live to amplify up to the levels that you need?

As much as you can, get the amp on one side of you and the bass on the other.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say that which amp you choose, is going to have very little effect on feedback - this is not a property of the amp.

I must say that this has been one of the things putting me off DB, as I go to a lot of Jazz jams and Jazz classes with a great variety of DB players using a great variety of amp setups - and they all seem to get feedback like this!! :meh:

It seems to be a natural consequence of amplifying a large hollow-bodied instrument - same happens with large hollow-bodied guitars...?

Whereas, at the Jazz gigs I attend, with top pros, it seems they try to get as much acoustic sound and as little amplified as possible and it seems to work no matter what amplification they use - I've seen SWR and Eden used successfully with DB.
  8. Although it is not a property of the amp, an amp can have an effect on feedback. An amp that exaggerates certain frequencies - mids, for instance - is proned to make the bass feed back earlier than an amp that is more or less linear. One of the causes of feedback is an uneven frequency response and poor dispersion. Some frequencies arrive at the microphone/pickup/bass louder than others, and it is these peaks that triggers feedback as the amp volume is increased.
    So, an amp that does not have these peaks is less probable to cause feedback in this manner.

Of course, there are many other causes for feedback, but to state that an amp has very little effect on feedback is incorrect IMO.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well I was actually saying that I've seen some people with SWR amps getting feedback and others - coincidentally (?) top Jazz pros, using SWR amps and avoiding feedback!!

So to me - the make of amp is irrelevant in this case - SWR and Eden are perfectly usable for DB!
  10. Can't agree Bruce - not in my experience with Trace/Hartke/a n other valve amp and my current AI using the same set-up. eq twiddling didn't help. SWR make a range of amps, some of which are amps top pros use and some are not and all the amps that gave me trouble were low end. You gets what you pays for I'm affraid.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

I agree with you generally - Trace Elliot are useless for DB - but I was just saying in this particular case that it wasn't the amp causing feedback, but was more likely to be other factors?

Or are you saying that cheap amps always mean feedback on DB? I've seen players with cheap amps avoiding feedback, as long as they didn't turn up too much. :meh:

[PS - Hartke are an interesting case, as they used to be pretty good and were made in the US, but then they started to make them in China....:meh:]
  12. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Steve Berry uses a Hartke, and gets a gorgeous sound at quite loud volumes. Don't know how old it is.
  13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The sound I've liked best is my K&K Bass Max running through an Avalon U5, preset 3, into my QSC PLX 1202 into my Bergantino HT112.