1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which varnish is best for refinishing?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by miles'tone, Mar 2, 2008.

1. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Hi there! I have a laminate URB with a hard-gloss spray-on finish. I'm interested in stripping the original finish (orangey/honey) and applying an oil based darker finish to let the wood "breath" a bit more (and to help it look more antiquated). Does anybody know what kind of varnish will be suitable and where to get it? Would Danish oil be appropriate?
    I want to find out before I strip my bass down as I don't want to leave the bare wood exposed too long!
    Hope you can help! Thanks.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Danish oil is not appropriate, because it is not protective enough, and because it seeps very deeply into the wood. Try to find the oil varnishes and colorants made by Hammerl in Germany. And practice up on your brushing technique. An alternative is Waterlox, a wiping varnish.

3. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Thanks Arnold, just checked out the Hammerl website and it looks the way to go. Yes, I agree, lots of practice first!

4. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    You might also check out my thread Varnish Matters. In fact I wish more of you would add your recepies and thoughts to it.