1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which wah? (don't say carrots)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cchorney, May 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hotone Bass Press 3 in 1 Vol/Wah/Expression

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dunlop CBM105Q Cry Baby Mini Bass Wah

12.5%
  3. Dunlop 105Q Cry Baby Bass Wah

25.0%
  4. Carrots (I asked you not to say that)

37.5%
  5. Other (explain it in your response)

25.0%
  1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Thinking about getting a wah, and my criteria is

1) under $150
    2) sounds good without resorting to distortion
    3) doesn't make me topple over

I had been looking at the Hotone Bass Press 3 in 1 Vol/Wah/Expression but from reading reviews it apparently doesn't switch from volume rocker to wah with a toe press like a normal pedal, it's one or the other based on how you set the switch on the side. Which is a shame because otherwise I would be all in on this, as a vol rocker would also be of occasional use. $75

So then I was looking at the Dunlop CBM105Q Cry Baby Mini Bass Wah which doesn't have a toe switch but that's because it's just a wah, nothing else. And it turns on off based on whether it's at it's resting point or not. $120

And then I said, "if I get a full pedal I can rest my heel on it which I wah rather than doing this weird dipping-my-toe-in-the-water motion while trying to not fall into the drums". And that seemed worth at least the look. So I looked at this Dunlop 105Q Cry Baby Bass Wah which is functionally the same as the CBM105Q except big enough to rest my heel as I wah. $130

So, and relevant advice, thoughts, or experiences?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Zanahorias.

3. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Just looking at the Hotone and see it is only 1 of 3 settings.

I thought the mini & full sized Dunlop Cry Baby pedals were the same but only in a different packaging.

Carrots is getting pretty old.

Broccoli.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  4. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Right. As I said, referring to the 105Q, "functionally the same as the CBM105Q except big enough to rest my heel as I wah"

5. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    I would go for the full-size one, especially if you are going to use it on a stage.

cchorney likes this.
  6. TheMightyEight

TheMightyEight

Mar 23, 2017
    UK
    on a budget : ibanez weeping demon
    flush : Chicago iron parachute

7. Have both weeping demon and cry baby mini...
    weeping demon is a tank, good range and versatile controls and can do switchless / switch modes

Mini Wah is good in that it cops most the range of the weeping demon and I have a love/hate relationship with the switchless... good sometimes in a busy song but sometimes miss having the versatile keep low end of the weeping demon in heel mode and then switch it on and off...

8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Hasenfeffer!

I tried a Dunlop bass wah and found it to be really ask so sold it. My vote: capital of Canada.

BillMason likes this.
  9. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I hadn't considered the weeping demon and it's in my price range - how does it sound when you don't have dirt applied?

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

The Weeping Demon is apparently really good, and damn cheap. Buy one used and if you hate it, flip it and buy the Crybaby Mini Bass Wah.

When I use mine while standing, I rest my heel so the back edge of my shoe hangs off the heel end of the Wah just a touch.

I also keep it on the back row of my pedalboard so there's nothing obstructing the front of my foot dangling off the board.

The Q control means it can sound really funky without any overdrive feeding it.

IMG_1219.JPG

theunknowndude and cchorney like this.
  11. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Thanks for teh advice, and that is an awesome board!

theunknowndude likes this.
  12. Maureen M

Maureen M

Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
    I like the EBS bass wah but it's a little higher than your price range.

Weeping demon is also good. Seems less sturdy than other wahs but I guess it depends on how hard you are on gear.

13. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    The Weeping Demon is certainly priced right but it's not specifically a bass wah, so the question is how does it sound with a bass? I've heard that some non bass specific wahs lose the bottom when you play a bass thru them.

14. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    The 105Q is actually an envelope filter that controls like a wah. So, it's funky as all get out, but not a traditional wah. Just something to be aware of. I bought one and while it sounds great, it's way too funky for my use.

15. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Thanks for that insight, it sounds like I really need to try it to see what I want. I might end up a couple different wahs from GC, since they are fairly local, and then return what I don't want.

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah I hear nothing but good things about the Weeping Demon. But I use the reg sized 105q/ Love that wah. I'm no wah expert, but I got the 105q and my wah GAS has not returned at all. I'd still like to try others, but the 105q is pretty sweet. I was going to opt for the smaller version when it was released but I just haven't yet.

17. Maureen M

Maureen M

Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
    I do find that the weeping demon loses some of the bottom. But I have a friend who swears by it for bass soloing in the higher register. I like EBS more while he thinks it isn't as clear and defined as he would like.
    To each his own :)

I think your idea of getting several different wahs and trying them all out, see what feels right to you.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Fulltone

19. IMG_3133.JPG I disagree with what has been said about the weeping demon... it has a dedicated bass mode with a switch, plus with the bass and q knobs you can get so much bass if you really wanted... granted I usually used it to play on the a string or higher but no reason it wouldn't do down low.

Apart from the foot print of the weeping demon being so huge I'd almost put it back on... and the fact it's light dependant with no moving parts nigh indestructible?

I have my mini Wah on the bottom so can use the resting my heel off the board if I need..

My current Board as above ( excuse before it was tidied up)

cchorney and Maureen M like this.
  20. ( if I used the weeping demon on there I lose space for 3 pedals...)