Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cods, Oct 8, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    for the past few months, i have been throwing around the idea of which bass to get, and i had [retty much decided on a stingray 5 with a high c, but recently, somone recently suggested that i get a yamaha trb6II, tuned eadgcf, this thought is rather appealing to me.

i play punk(yes punk, :p), so i need good treble(which i hear they both have). and i slap quite often when i'm not playing punk, and i am currently learning to tap.

which would you choose and why?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do you need a high f?

Why not go BEADGC?

3. Ditto to what JMX said.

1) I think the Yamaha will give you more versatility, although they're both excellent basses. I haven't played a TRB6II, but have played a TRB5II, and a few SR5s.

2) I think a high "C" string is enough. A high "F" will take you too far into guitar territory.

The choice is your's, of course.

Good luck.

Mike :)

4. JT is coming to tell ya to get a GT-7 tuned BEADGCF so you'll have the best of both worlds. :p

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    But still, a high f for punk?

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Why not just get a Conklin GT-7, a used one can be had for about $700 to $900.

I think it would be pretty cool to see a bassist in a punk band with a 7-string bass.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Conklin GT-7.:D

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

US Precision Deluxe............the punk of punks.

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Stingray:bassist: tuned BEADG because its just awesome. Im biased b/c I have a Ray4 and Ive never tried Yamaha. EB basses are so in your face thats why I would use one for punkish stuff. The feel of the bass is smooth and player friendly and IMO if you modified the tuning you would change the feel for the worse. Why not just a 4? :D :bassist:

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
  11. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i think outside the box. ;). :bassist:.

also, i don't like the way b's sound.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    -^

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's because you haven't heard a good b :)

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    There may actually be some truth to this. Which basses have you heard a B on?

If you can check out a Lakland and you don't like the way a B sounds, then go with the high C. If you are basing it on a Stingray (I got my stoning shield on guys!) or even (gasp) a fender, then your opinion might be masked by less than gret B strings. They really are suppossed to sound like bass strings and not like humpback whales.....

(Stingray B's are ok, not the greatest IMO, but certainly not the worst, for the record)

15. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i played a warwick thumb six string, stingray 5, a fender 5 string, a six string yamaha, and ibanez five string...and so on, but the b string doesn't go with my person flow, unlike the high c.

16. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    well for what its worth, not one of those would I really recomend for its B. And I have seen a lot www.lamarjonz.com/Bass/past.htm .

But to each his own. However, I still think you would do well to check out a Lakland (not saying that is what I think you should get, just saying to give a low B a fair shot, try one of those)

17. Hey, Lamar, that's some collection you've got there. :cool:

I'll have to keep you in mind the next time I'm looking for something.

Mike

18. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That is stuff I have already moved on by.

I had a pretty fun time with the trading thing. I am trying to sell everything that I don't plan on keeping in time for my wedding in 2 weeks, and kind of hoping to not start back up. Fun, but I'd rather just woodshed and write.

But, if there is anything I can do to answer any question about any one of those basses, hit me up. And ....don't listen to me, most likely GAS will kick in and I will have 5 basses that have no buisness being at my house!

19. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    the conklin seven string keeps sounding more and more appealing to me...

20. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    they are quite nice, and if you're thinking of a 6 anyway- well... you're almost there.

They pop up on ebay pretty often, for fairly cheap.

it would handle slapping and tapping very well, and they're a heck of a bass for the $. I had a fretless GT7f for a while, I'd recommend them to anyone already interested in 6-string or up.