Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

White Basses & Ageing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tage, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    I was wondering if theres a way to prevent a new white bass from gaining that creamy colour as it ages?

I like white basses, I just hate the aged colour they get.

2. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    Auto paint buffing compound. But I don't recommend it. My 75 Olympic White Precision has that creamy color. I love it. My buddy has a 59 OW Precision that the prior owner compounded. It's snow white. :yuk:

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :eek: Why?! Why would you do that? That's the best part about an old white bass...

4. I think with a lot of the more modern types of lacquer, you don't get the yellowing in the finish. It seems that the nitrocelluluose finishes on older basses are most susceptible. Here's a Jazz that I sold on eBay today with a really extreme yellowing--probably from people who smoked a lot of cigarettes.
    [​IMG]

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    wouldn't that decrease the value of a 59 P-Bass?!?!?! :confused: :eek: :eyebrow: :rollno: :scowl:

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the big +1 here.... I actually hang my white bass in the Livingroom on a Sunny wall when I'm not playing it. The Maple is aging nicely but the paint will take a while.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Wait... You're saying that bass was originally white? :eyebrow:

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That jazz bass is GORGEOUS! It looks like it's made of caramel...tasty!

9. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    I actually like how that bass looks, but to me that creamy white-ish colour that a lot of the basses take on just look.. sickly.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Or creamy and tasty and just makes you wanna caress it?

11. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    seems to me that not too many people keep basses long enough for them to age anyways ;)

12. Yep...the area under the pickguard and control plate are white. You can kinda see it in the neck pocket too:
    [​IMG]

13. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    Meh, I'm not too worried about the resale value of a bass. While it would be nice to own a vintage '59 Fender, I'm not going to buy a brand new 2004 bass with the intention of it being worth a lot in another 40 years.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's kind of disgusting. :-\

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Wow, that's crazy. Just by looking at it, I never would have guessed that it could've originally been white. :)

16. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    Yup. That's why I don't recommend it. I, also, like the aesthetics of aging white basses.

17. Only if it smells. If it doesn't that thing would be awesome.

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Not a bass I would like to lick though :-\..
    I lick barse, not arse.

19. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Actually, since we are on the subject, I have to ask the opposite question: How do you "age" an olympic white bass to get that creamy color?

I have a 2002 MIA Fender 70's reissue P bass in olympic white. It has a little bit of cream to it, but I would love it to have more! Is there any way to accelerate this process?

20. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

leave it in the backyard all day. then turn it around and leave it all day. and then turn it around again. Repeat until you get the desired results.