1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whittlin' Season 2010 -- Thoughts

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by scojack, Apr 16, 2010.

1. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    The weather is finally getting better and conditions in the shed are favourable. I have a stock of some new hardwood and EUB2 from last year is in the final stages of finishing, so im wondering what to do next....
    I would ultimately like to sell my next eub (I have more than enough for myself lolol but i do enjoy making them) .
    So.... im thinking of doing a short scale 34/36 inch version with a proper compound radius FB and probably piezo pups. It goes against the grain a bit for me but there certainly seems to be a good demand for these shorter scale UB's.

Any thoughts ?
    Short scale or 'proper' scale?

IanM

2. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I have a 34" scale eub I made. The pro's are small size and scale length for BG players, numerous inexpensive string choices. The cons are that the AUB bass scale to me sounds better - more like an AUB

3. What about a "in-between" scale ?
    Like 38" (about a half-size DB scale).

Are you located in Scotland, Ian?

4. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Thats not a bad idea at all Francois, i was thinking at least 36..not sure yet though, still very much at the thinking stage.
    Yes im in Central Scotland.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I like that idea too. I have an NS Omni that is fantastic for travel. But a couple of extra inches might be really cool. If it still fit in a plane's overhead, all the better.

6. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    What is the max length of an overhead locker out of interest?

IanM

7. powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    The design will need to accomodate string length. Extra long BG strings may work for 36" scale length, maybe not depending on after length and bridge design

8. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Cheers Powerbass, i would indeed have to anchor the strings fairly close to the bridge and probably stick nearer to 34" in order to accomodate BG strings, going to measure some BG strings before i start the design to see what i can get away with.
    Its all such a compromise .........

IanM

9. I'd look at 1/4 or 1/2 size bass DB strings instead!

10. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks Francois im not ruling anything out at the moment.
    Just trying to figure out what is the more important factor for those who purchase short scale EUB's.
    My own personal preferance would be for your half size DB idea, but i keep thinking that its the more familiar 34" BG length that attract folks to go for the short scale EUB's in the first place.
    Im thinking that beyond 36" or even 34" ....playing with 4 fingers on the left hand gets tricky and may require a change in technique which may defeat the point of the shorter scale length or am i missing something?

Undecided Ian.

11. powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    If this is a design you will market and sell having a consistent design with variable scale length is a good idea- like Kydd EUBs

12. I started a 37" scale EUB(two, actually)years ago- they've since stalled for several weak reasons, but I remember that even though I'd originally envisioned playing them upright, after slapping one together(bolt-on neck & semi-hollow body)it would coincidentally sit well played ala BG. Not sure if this is in any way pertinent to the OP except to say that 37" is not huge & might indeed be a nice compromise between BG & DB/EUB.

13. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks for the input everybody much appreciated.
    Power -- im not really out to market something as such, i just need something that has the best chance of selling, my wife is already asking questions about having 2 EUBs 'cluttering up the house' especially as i retired as a (BG) player many years ago.

Planning now to build something where the bridge can be placed over a range (probably around 3 inches) maybe 35/38 or 34/37. This would pretty much rule out BG strings as i would have to anchor them for the largest size. Once i get something on paper i can get a better idea.
    Should have something nearing completion July/August.

IanM

14. With such a system, it'd be impossible to have a "standard" neck heel though, which is an important asset for the DB player.
    ("D" or "Eb" neck)

15. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Yes ..very good point, that would be a compromise of this system Francois.
    I would hope that the flexibility of the string length would be more beneficial.
    There are EUB's out there without a proper neck heel and you can always add your own visual aids if required....

16. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
  17. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Well after mulling this over for a bit, im going for a 38" string length as per Francois' suggestion. I dont intend doing a build thread here this time as it may be against TB policy.
    Thanks for the input everybody ;-)
    IanM