1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whizzer Cone Amps (EA vs Eden)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adagio, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Adagio

Adagio

Jul 21, 2011
    Quebec City
    Hi!
    I'm looking for a new lightweight cab to replace my heavy rig and it seems that the EA Wizzy gets a lot of love around here. I shopped a bit and found the Eden EX-112 to be quite similar in construction and specs (price and weight apart). I've done a search about this topic but, to my knowledge, no one ever brought that up.

I've read a lot of good things about the Wizzy for DB, and also some about the Eden EX on the BG side. But does anyone have experience with both of those cabs? How do they compare?

Thanks a lot!

2. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    i wouldn't mind reading more...

3. Adagio

Adagio

Jul 21, 2011
    Quebec City
    I went to the music store and the guy at the shop told me that he had a stack of 2 EX112 for a rehearsal for a rock band (on EB). Told me that he got quite some distortion at higher volume and I read pretty much the same about those cabs on the EB side of TB. Otherwise the tone is apparently more or less similar to the wizzy, or so I've been told. I've not tried those cabs but if anyone has, please chime in! So far it seems like a wicked cheap and portable rig for low volume gigs... I don't think I'd rely exclusively on those cabs though.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Adagio
    If you take a look at close ups of both cabinets the Wizzy 12 has a very different cone design than the Eden. Even though the porting system is the same for both, the difference in the size, and design, of the Wizzy's speaker surrounds and cone, would give it a different different voicing I can't imagine they would sound anything alike. John Dong of EA takes months, sometimes years to work on matching a speakers design with his cabinets. As far as I know, each EA driver is a custom build, specifically designed for their boxes. I have no idea how exacting the driver in the Eden cabinet is. Another thing to consider, is that most of the discussions about the Wizzy 12 'over here on the DB side, are discussions about the Wizzy 12 M Line. The M Line is a transmission line cabinet.
    Having said all this. I've never played either of these cabinets, so you can take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Attached Files:

5. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I use the EX110 with a G&K MB200. I have not used EA products so I can't offer a comparison. I am much happier with the sound of this rig compared to my mini- brute. It is a ported cabinet and has a tendency to couple with the floor when I play at church. The other team members like that because they can hear the chord roots clearly. I tried putting it on a chair once and it was as if it disappeared. I prefer it to the sound of the Celestion12 in the SWR Ca. Blonde combo I use at the music school. As always,YRMV.

6. Adagio

Adagio

Jul 21, 2011
    Quebec City
    I got a deal I couldn't refuse on an Eden EX112 so I finally bought a 4ohms version. Not tried it extensively yet, but it's doing great so far. Quite honestly, it sounds a bit dull; it handles the lows very weel but I like a bit punchier mids and more harmonics/overtones. This cab sounds good enough though, I am really happy with the overall tone I get. I mean, it can't compete with some other high end cabs I've tried that day, but it's way better than what I expected of it. Sounds great with my slab too, though I am afraid to push it too much considering I'm overpowering it.

I bought this cab as a monitor for small acoustic gigs so I think it's pretty decent considering I got it for less than the price of a good set of strings. I was looking for a portable solution so 300w@30lbs is just perfect. Also, the guy at the store told me they are discontinued, so I guess now's a good time to grab one for wicked cheap as stores might want to clear their inventory.

I'll play with the band later this week so I'll report on how it's doing in a live situation.

7. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    so how did that work out with your band?

8. Adagio

Adagio

Jul 21, 2011
    Quebec City
    I went pretty well actually!

Now, here's the long version:
    I tested the EX112 more extensively before playing with the band and it I'm quite pleased. The only thing is that I was able to make it "fart" at a certain volume, but the culprit was the first A on the G string only. I rolled off the high mids a bit and that solved it, no matter how high I cranked the volume after that. I have to say that I was overpowering the cab with a EA doubler (550w@4ohms) since it is rated at 300w@4ohms.

I tried several setups in order to find the best sound:
    1. Straight on the floor : Mostly lows, highs have a hard time cutting through
    2. On the floor, tilted back: better than the the first option, still the resonance with the bass cause a bit of feedback/weird frequencies
    3. Sitting straight on another cab: When lifting the cab, the weird frequencies go away and the sound is much clearear
    4. Sitting on another cab, tilted: This way I can orient the cab straight to my ears, very focused sound.

I also compared it with 2 other cabs, both peavey, a 410 and a 115. The 112 is much more accurate, less boomy, and delivers the same *perceived* power if lifted above the ground.

But when I played with the band this week I used my EUB since it was right after work and I can't carry my big carved bass all day long in this situation. It's a Palatino VE-500 with all the eletronics stripped off and replaced by a Realist PU. Still, it sounds like crap but it's the most URB-feeling EUB I've found. It was only the second time I was using this bass and I wasn't really able to dial a sound I like, but I don't think the cab is a factor in this equation. I heard some distortion in the sound, but I suspect it comes from the Realist since it's sandwiched between the bridge and a non-vibrating top. Any ways, it did a great job cutting through with the band and I had to feed it with much less power than I had anticipated (my drummer was not playing his full kit though).

I will play again with the band with my real bass on tomorrow; I will ask to test with the full drum just to push the cab a little more. But I'm pretty confident it will be just fine though!

9. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    awesome!! thx for the details.

10. Adagio

Adagio

Jul 21, 2011
    Quebec City
    Finally tried it with my DB and the band this morning. I'm really happy with the tone I got. Particularly for arco, which never sounded so good with my bigger cabs. Tried it with the full drum kit too and the cab developed enough power and I still had headroom. The distortion I got the other day was positively caused by the Realist; today my sound was crystal clear.

Short story: While this cab might not be my holy grail, it's definitely a keeper. I can't tell the same of my other cabs now...