1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who can help identify the various bits and bobs......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deef, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    ......That make up this bass......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks rough at the moment ( Yes, I know the decal is hand painted etc.......) but I might take it under my wing, re-finish, re-wire, get a functional bridge. It may make a fun frankenbass. But I'm having trouble identifying some of the parts. Any ideas? ( I'd be getting it free )

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
  3. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    Har de har............

OK, I'll rephrase. Does anybody know, off which various possible manufacturers, various parts of this bass eg: Neck, Body etc come from?

The body reminded me of the Ibanez Roadstar, but IICR, the roadstar had a different setup with the knobs etc. Think it was the cream PUP covers, and PJ config tha reminded me.

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Methinks we need a pic... Can't see one.

5. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    I can see 3 pics I posted? Hmmmm........

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Well, did you perhaps link to images on your own hard drive? That won't work; you need to use a hosting service such as PhotoBucket, ImgShack or TinyPic.

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I can see them :meh:

8. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    That is some serious homebrew plywood! Or clone.
    I could guess at the pickups being Dimarzio's from the late 70's or 80's and the neck could be a mighty mite or no-name hand cut headstock, but they are just guesses. Is it playable or amplifiable?

Definately the best Fender counterfeit for metal!

9. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I can see the photos ok. The body reminds me of an Ibanez, too. I agree the knob configuration is not right, though. Hmmm. As for the neck, there may some identifier, a stamp or sticker, where the neck joins the body. Of course, you'd have to pop the neck off to fnd out. It appears to be a MIM Fender or maybe a Squier neck.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    DEFINITELY a legit Fender...no doubt about it...

:bag:

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Looks like the bridge might be functional - it's just that the D-string saddle is upside down. That puts the string groove on the wrong side of the intonation screw and pitches the whole thing sideways.

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    OK, changed over to Opera, and now the pics show up (they don't on either Iron or Waterfox, apparently they originate from Twitter).

It doesn't strike me as a parts bass. Rear-routed plywood body with a P/J config and four controls, never had a pickguard, finish stripped except from back of neck, fake logo painted on, resprayed with clear. Headstock looks to be the original shape, judging by the placing of the E tuner.

Yeah, the bridge seems okay, just the D saddle piece is turned the wrong way.
    The sole wooden control knob is from somewhere else.

So what is it? Don't know, but I would guess mid-'80s Korean.

13. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Body reminds me of a 70's lawsuit but it doesn't have the lawsuit headstock on it. Probably either shaved down or different neck. As for pickups id say 80's probably duncan or dimarzio.

14. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    I haven't received it yet. someone I know got told to dump it as it was taking up spaces in his wifes friends house, he rang me.

I have no clue if it's ampable yet. The bridge looks fairly ratty is what I meant by the functional bridge comment. It looks horrible. I'll get a nice bridge off fleabay for it for €12 :p

Was thinking DiMarzio's but what are the chances of it?

I can't place the body, or headstock shape. I'm guessing a generic no name brand anyway!

I'm thinking of a nice paintjob I can do over a few weekends aswell. Not as mad as the other paintjob though ;)

The hand painted 'Fender' makes it for me! First to go is that anyway :p

I'll update with pics when I get it, and strip it down.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's a bit strange. Maybe some kind of worked-over Korean or Chinese copy from the late 70's or early 80's? The neck heal contour looks quite typical for a MIJ copy but the truss rod bullet seems atypical. That style of rear rout cover is very familiar but I can't place it. The pickups could be decent, being that it's FREE I would look into it for that one reason alone. Judging from the pics I would consider the neck and body undesireable.

16. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    I'll do my work to it, even if it turns out to be a dog, it will look good painted up. You never know, it could surprise ha.

17. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    Still trying to figure out the make of this bass(es).

Have a nice idea for a paintjob though, nothing as mad as my 'Kiddies Nightmare' but nothing plain....

Can't wait to get the headstock sanded, and replace the tuners and bridge. It could sound nice, it could be a rat, whatever the case, it will look nice and hang on a wall ;)

Anybody have any new ideas?

18. mr13ump

mr13ump

Sep 25, 2011
    Ohio
    Fender Metal Bass? It looks like you have finally found the best bass for metal..............

19. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    Lol. Indeed...... I don't play metal though. The handpainted Logo shall be replaced by blue paint, and my own doodle :D

20. The pups ain't DiMarzio's. DiMarzio pups have allen-head adjustable pole pieces.