1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who else is a Pop bassist?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Hey guys and gals,

I was curious if anyone else plays bass for a pop act. With a growing number of today's pop acts moving to key-based bass lines, i love it when i see an actual bassist rocking it on stage!

So, who else plays pop??! Are there any pop bassists you site as inspirations?

2. amroach

amroach

Feb 11, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Well i guess i'm a pop bassist, as it seem a genre that keeps being labeled upon my main ensemble but i don't really take any interest or inspiration from pop music as i listen to mostly: metal, prog, blues, jazz, rock, most things really but not pop.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Pop is a broad term...

I like a lot of stuff I consider pop, a few of my favorites in the genre off the top of my head are:

Chris Chaney (from Michelle Branch to Celine Dion and beyond)
    Sam Dixon (Sia)
    Charlie Colin (Train)
    Matt Malley (Counting Crows)

4. This is true. But the same can be said about pretty much any genre with today's love of genre-labeling.

Haha, people can answer in regards to their own definitions. I don't care.

Personally, i think of pop as hella-catchy, vocally-fronted music aimed at a broad audience.

And FWIW, i don't really listen to all that much pop myself either. I mostly listen to other stuff. Shoot, at a recent show i rocked a His Hero is Gone shirt with pants that had both a McCarthyism (record label) and Orchid patch on them. The audience was mainly, like, 15-19 y/o girls.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Besides being a 'funk and r&b' bassist, I consider myself a 'pop' bassist since I play in cover bands playing mostly top40 pop dance music.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I could consider pop as one of the many genres I play, especially in cover bands.

As far as inspiration, Tony Kinal of No Doubt is my favorite pop bassist that isn't a session player. Of course, guys like Pino, Sklar, and Nathan East are awesome pop bassists as well, but they can play anything.

7. Yeah! Tony is awesome!

Personally, i get a ton of inspiration from The Go Gos' Kathy Valentine. Super catchy and well written... the corner-stone of good pop music.

8. BassClef 2010

BassClef 2010

Oct 31, 2009
    I play in a Top40 pop band,a jazz combo, and as a solo act. Guess which one I make the most money in?

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Let's think... What sort of stuff do you play in your solo act?

10. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    I think I play in a pop band, although we throw in a little disco and experimentation.

My band mates want me to play as many root notes as possible, but I'll never surrender!

11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I play in a cover band, and we mainly cover pop songs (but we turn them into acoustic versions), guess that makes me a "pop bassist" by extension.

I have an oldschool sound though, since my personal taste is mainly music from the late 60s/early 70s (Psych Rock, Prog, Electric Blues). Good thing it suits this band rather well.

12. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Well. pop music is such a large amount of artists and such a subjective definition that I bet everyone of us has played with pop acts!!!
    I played with a lot of local pop singers (if by "pop music" you mean very easy listening music, but not necessarily silly or too simple), and when I go to the studio 70% of the times I'm asked to play on pop tunes...here in Italy playing properly pop music is considered an art (the old motto "less is better"!) just as playing properly funk or rock..
    I don't consider myself a pop musician, but I often play it and I usually enjoy it!

13. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Keep fighting!!! Sting is a great pop bassist and he plays "off" the root all the time. One of the many things that made The Police an interesting band.

14. In a pop-punkish setting, bass can usually do a more 'lead' part, while the guitarist does powerchord riffs. I love it!

haha, my sing and i have worked out a Paparazzi, by Lady Gaga, cover in our general style... imagine Paparazzi done by the Marvelettes... :D

15. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Yo, Pop here! Get yer Pop!

Raised on Beatles and the golden age of Top 40 radio. Schooled in the midwest Power Pop scene ala Shoes, Cheap Trick, Pezband, etc. Two major label bands in the 80's who were pop in the techno vein (and proud of it pal:cool:). In the 90's I recorded w/ Tommy Keane. Lately playing with Kyle Henderson (the Producers) but we're doing Soul covers! Ha!

I do a Chick Singer Night house band thing where I back up all kinds of styles and I'm back in school again with the current crop o' Pop.

Whew, I'm pooped.

16. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Pop guy here, and yes, I just ordered a bass synth for all that bass pop joy.
    So I guess you'd still see a "bassist" on stage, just with a synth :)

17. That's EXACTLY what i strive for.

Which bass synth did you order?

I use a Digitech Bass Synth Wah and a Boss SYB-5... I'm gonna order an EHX Bass Micro Synth when money permits as well.

18. BassClef 2010

BassClef 2010

Oct 31, 2009
    Micheal Manring-esque bass solos

19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I love playing pop bass lines. The Bee Gees and ABBA songs have a ton of cool bass lines.