Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is using n-Track?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, May 17, 2005.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm looking seriously at this program. I've got a Tascam US-428 thing, and have Cool Edit Pro 2. I'm interested in hearing anyone's experiences with n-Track, and would like to hear about the features, stability, and support you get with it.

I'm no pro, and I just can't hang with spending $3-$600- You have to purchase Sonar Producer if you want 4-band EQ from Cakewalk! Why do that? Is it that different?

I'm keeping it mostly simple, and want to spend my time on recording techniques, and my $ on mics, etc.

'Nuff from me. I'm listening, and thanks!

P.S. I'm open to other recommendations, also, if you feel strongly about them.

2. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    I'll start out by saying it's been a while since I've used N-Track, but back then, I found the interface a bit to cluttered as compared to Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition).

I'm now using the latest version of Audition, 1.5 and it seems to have everything I need, including VST plugin support. YMMV however. You can upgrade from CE Pro 2 to Audition 1.5 for $69, I think.

FWIW

D

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I really liked N-Track's interface, though I'll agree that it's cluttered and somewhat ugly. I stopped using it because of stability issues, but I hesitate to blame that specifically on N-Track. I have more than one friend who will swear buy it. If you can't afford Sonar, N-Track is the next best choice.

4. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Yeah, it does have that "cheap" look, which I kind of like, in a way. :smug:

Can you tell me, msquared- I've only seen a screen-shot of it, and I want to know: What does n-Track offer for EQ? Besides the Many-Band-Parametric, I mean. I'm looking at Cubase SE too, as it happens, and it appears to be a very sensible layout (though not configurable), and includes 4-band EQ on each channel, which work integrally with the US-428's EQ section. Is n-Track comparable in this regard? And are there track and mixer views?

The FaSoft site gives info, but not lots of info about its' 'workflow'.

Thanks for the responses!

P.S. I'd ask on the n-Track forum, but it doesn't let me post yet! It's been a week or so...:eyebrow:

Rog.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Per-channel EQ along with per-channel oscilloscope-ish thing (which I found really handy when doing drum mixes).

Overall though I don't ever use the built in EQ stuff. There are more useful VST plugin EQs so I just use them instead.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The many band parametric is killer, you can just use as many or as few bands as you like, and you can just draw the curve you want with your mouse as well. It'll do shelving too. That's my go-to EQ whether I'm using n-Track, Cubase or Wavelab. I actually bought it separately before it was included in n-Track. It is a bit of a resource hog though if you use a lot of bands, IIRC it's 64 bit?

7. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    So, you guys'd maybe say that this stuff n-track offers is more or less first rate software?

Passin', what version of Cubase are you using, and why don't you just use n-Track? Is it a "practical" issue, like capability, or just preference for an interface (which is still practical, to be sure)?

Thanks for your insight,

Rog.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You probably won't see it on any high end Nashville studio computers, but that doesn't mean it won't get the job done. N-Track is good enough that the main thing influencing the quality of your recordings is going to be your skill level. If you're still hesitant at this point, download the demo and see if you like it or not. IMO it's worth the money, I just like Sonar a lot more.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Within the constraints of getting what you pay for, I'd say yeah. I've recorded a few projects that sound about as good as they were likely to regardless of software used, IMHO.

Passin', what version of Cubase are you using, and why don't you just use n-Track? Is it a "practical" issue, like capability, or just preference for an interface (which is still practical, to be sure)?

I recently got an EMU card that came bundled with Cubase VST 5.1, and I've heard that the card works best with that software. I haven't yet upgraded to n-Track 4, I've been using 3.3. I'm not really up to speed on Cubase yet, but the mixer interface seems nicer than n-Track's, so far. I like the plugin selection I get between Cubase and Wavelab too. I've been seeing some new stability issues with n-Track since I got the new soundcard, and I haven't gotten around to hashing that out yet. Cubase is very solid with that card, so I'll likely stick with that for now. The ASIO control panel in Cubase also seems to work better for me than any of the other ones I've messed with.

I actually use Wavelab for most of what I record. I tend to do live bed tracks of drums and bass or drums and guitar, then drop those tracks into a mutitrack progarm when I'm ready to dub some more parts. I do nearly all my editing and mastering in Wavelab as well. I've been using it for years, so my workflow is greatly enhanced when I'm in that comfort zone. I have lots of friends who use Sonar happily, but for some reason I just don't jive with it. I'd try as many demos as you can stand to, but n-Track is a decent starting point and might well be all you need. I don't use MIDI or virtual instruments at all, so I have no idea what's better for those applications.

Best of luck!

10. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Allright, thanks for the feedback. Q & A must come to its' end at some point, so I'll measure up what I've got out of it and take a run at something.

I haven't downloaded much stuff, actually, 'cause I'm doing all my web communication at the local library- my machine is internet-disabled, set up for audio only. That probably has contributed to my incessant trolling for info that I might otherwise be hip to by now!

Thanks again for the patience, and for your time! It won't be wasted. Peace,

Rog.