1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who knew this song would go over?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by two fingers, Apr 17, 2009.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So we recently had a thread about "set killers" and that got me to thinking. What about songs you NEVER thought would go over and they KILLED (in a good way)? I played in a band a bunch of years ago and I had joined well after they were established. As I was learning the set, I came across a few songs that made me think that they had lost their minds. BUT after a few shows, they turned out to be the crowd pleasers.

Cowboy Song - Thin Lizzy (very cool bass and guitar harmonies)

Dreams I'll Never See - Molly Hatchet version (who knew?)

And Later....

Good Time - Arch Angels (which I LOVE)

How bout you? What are your dark horse crowd pleasers? What gets the crowd going more often than not even though you never thought it would?

2. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nobody???

3. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    War Pigs, we initially played it for ourselves - but it's become a sing along. lol

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Those songs are *always* hits down here. The Arc Angels are from here, so everyone knows "Good Time". We do "Cowboy Song" often at the jam, as well as "Jail Break". Anything by Molly Hatchet flies well in the South. "Dreams..." is a big favorite of mine, and I'm actually learning it so we can bring it into our set.

"Squeezebox" was my big surprise. The guys got me to sing and play it, but the first time I did it, no one got up. They just stared! I think they were stunned. LOL!

But it has become a big crowd hit, and everyone dances to it. I raunch the song up a bit, using vocal expression, and we put a lot of energy into it. They love it, and I really didn't they would!

Cherie :bassist:

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I've been trying to bring that tune in, 'cause I can sing/play it, and when we do it at the jam, the crowd goes nuts. Truly, a sing-a-long!

My guitarist thinks its too much of a "showcase song" (whatever that means) and won't let me do it with our band. He's not been there when we've done it at the jam, so I think I will have to make certain I do it next time he shows up. LOL!

I know for a fact the crowds in our venues would dig it a lot! I'd also like to do "Sweet Leaf", for the same reason. May have to road-test that at the jam, too.

Cherie

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Squeezebox and War Pigs! NOYCE!

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Right? I love doing "War Pigs"...all those people singing along and pumping their fists, like so many Vikings in a meadhall. GOD, what a rush!!! I can't understand why Guitar thinks it won't fly. We could replace "Come To Papa" with it. :D

Really must finish working up Sweet Leaf over the weekend...we can use the two Sabbath songs like bookends!

I'm itching to do Joan Jett's cover of Iggy Pop's "I Wanna Be Your Dog", but Guitar thinks that won't fly, either. We shall see on jam night, soon.

Cherie :hyper:

8. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    3rd Rate Romance - by the Amazing Rythm Aces.

I didn't want to do it, thought it was too slow and not well known enough. But it's turned out to be one of the most requested songs we do.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Killin Floor. You can't dance to it, but some people try. We didn't play it once, and had to answer a lot of questions from the fans in attendance.

10. ali.b.reed

ali.b.reed

Apr 16, 2009
    The Sky is Crying - serious laid back blues

They went crazy for it, we normally play it at home for a warm up.
    It gave the drummer a bit of a rest, bless him, not as young as he once was but best we have had.

11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    30 days in the Hole,Never Been any Reason,and White Room.For some reason,every time we play these,the audience always sings along,and the dance floor usually fills up.Lot's of fun to play too!

12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    We do a cover of Jamiroquai's "High Times" that either packs the floor or clears the room, and I have not been able to determine why it goes in either direction.

We also do a long medley of Eb Oakland style funk tunes, always including Curtis Mayfield's "Check Out Your Mind" and varyingly including some old Headhunters tunes and occasionally "Pawn Shop" by Sublime. It clears the floor 90% of the time, and clears the whole place for an additional 5%. I do not know why we still play it, but I am not the music director in the band.

13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    All good songs in my mind (but what do I know, I'm a musician?) Haven't played 30 Days in YEARS! Good jam!

14. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Ahhh---Cowboy Song!

I've been singing that one since it first came out---hasn't failed yet.
    That song has something (dynamics?) that you don't see in many songs now-days.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    We play an old Elvis song called "Mountain". Our singer just kills the vocal part (not in costume), and it's got good dynamics and harmonies that we do pretty well too.

I was really skeptical when we started playing it... #1 it's so old, #2 Elvis is dead, #3 it's a slow song and #4 it's in 6/8 (a la "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You"). But somehow it just works every time and is one of our go-to numbers.

16. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    "Detroit Rock City" by KISS packs the floor everytime

17. nvd

nvd

Nov 9, 2007
    Virginia Beach
    Sultans of swing, who can resist some knopfler leads.

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sultans of Swing is ANOTHER great one!

(I'm making notes. This has really been a secret ploy to find good songs that not every band plays. You are all UNDER MY SPELL!!!!!!!!!) :bag:

19. I was in a fairly heavy hard rock / metal band covering Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy, Priest, etc., and I had to fight for this song but I had a feeling it would work well in our set if we metal-ified it, it REALLY worked and got the girls on the dance floor...and then they stayed there. Yup, "Little Willie" by Sweet.

The best I saw, was an extremely well known local METAL band (ALL GUYS) doing En Vogue's "Free Your Mind" big vox and all - it was a killer - in a good way.

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    "Never Gonna Get It" also another slammin' track by those ladies. Prolly not something you'd want a band of guys covering, though...

Re "Sultans of Swing" I've had really mixed success on that one. My current band used to do it back with our original lead guitarist who could play Knopfler style stuff all day. We played it really well but it only went over half the time at best. The other times you could practically hear the crowd checking-out.