1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who made this endpin, and how to stop slipping?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by LyleRyan, Nov 30, 2006.

1. LyleRyan

LyleRyan Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    Can anyone tell me the maker of this endpin?

And beyond that, does anyone know how to stop the friction fit from slipping?

I've heard that slipping is a classic problem with this endpin, and in order to change to a new style the hole would have to be plugged and redrilled. I also heard a hardwood shaft will stop the slipping.

Thanks in advance for any advice....Lyle

Attached Files:

2. Looks like an old Herco endpin. And yes, they are famous for slipping and locking up tight. If you don't care about adjustability, just drill a hole through the shaft and superglue in part of a carpenters nail for a stop. Herco endpins were terrible when they were made back in the 1960's (or there abouts) and they don't improve with age. Do yourself a favor and have your luthier plug the old hole and fit a new endpin.

3. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Yup and agreed with Bob, this design(not it's performance) was my comparison when Norton stated his pin was "new" and patent-able in the marketplace.

EDIT:clarification

4. My Norton endpin has been great Gary. It hasn't slipped at all, and it's made from carbon fiber. So i imagine it's quite a bit different than the Herco.

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    "My Norton endpin has been great Gary."

+2 on that.

I have installed two of Brent's endpins (and have only one left) and they both function flawlessly. The collet idea may not be new, but Norton makes it work.

6. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    In NO way was I indicating the function of Brent's pin left anything to be desired. I see how it may have read that way..... My point being the "patent-ability" or novelty of the design.

7. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    FWIW I have a bass that originally came with a CF endpin with a twisting collar. That thing was a total piece of junk and everything was wrong with it, especially the way it constantly slipped. I replaced it with a conventional endpin and haven't had any problems since.