Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who played on games without frontiers ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lowstar, Jul 14, 2005.

1. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    hi guys,
    does anybody know who played the bass line on peter gabriel´s "games without frontiers", was it tony levin or john giblin ?
    and: does anybody know which distortion or OD was used ? i really like that sound but couldn´t get close to it with analog gear.

cheers,
    lowstar

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Mr Tony Levin.

Do a search that will tell you that guy has one of the hardest tones to reproduce EVER

3. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    I seem to recall that Mr. Tony Levin used a flanger on Games Without Frontiers. It sounds as if a cabinet is miked with a bit of room in the tone as well... fairly aggressive!

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    How is it that some people are excellent bass players AND they have their own distinctive killer tone ?! Life is not fair :(

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What amazes me is he has so many distinctive tones! All unique!! "Games without Frontiers" sounds nothing like "I have the touch", which sounds nothing like "Don't Give Up," which sounds nothing like "Sledgehammer"... and none of them sounds like anything I've ever heard any other bassist do! And this is just with Gabriel!

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

...and some of the coolest ones out there these days, too.