1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who plays guitar as well?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Bass Abides, Sep 14, 2019.

1. The Bass Abides

The Bass Abides

Mar 3, 2019
    So the title says it all. I’m curious what your experience with guitar might be? Did you start on guitar and switch over? Have you played bass from the get go and never picked up a guitar? Did playing guitar help you as a bass payer? I’d love to hear you experience with the guitar.

Me? I tinkered with the guitar, but never got very serious. I’ve really only gotten more serious about the bass over the past year or so...and I feel more at home.

2. I can, but nowhere near as well.

ak56, bholder, Ductapeman and 7 others like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I started on the guitar but knew that I wanted to play bass all along.

When I was at the top of my game I was told more than once that I was a far better acoustic guitar player than a bass player. And I did continue to play acoustic - at least occasionally - during my very long hiatus from playing bass.

And I've always owned more guitars than basses at any given time. But that's more of a collector bug than a real necessity.

walking Bass, basshawk21 and Stumbo like this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I started on guitar, then switched to bass. I've been playing rhythm guitar in my country band for the past few months.

harolds09 copy.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Started on drums. Was so-so. Switched to guitar. Three months later showed up to form a band. I was the least experienced so off to bassland I went. Never looked back.

I have kept up my rhythm guitar and can play some blues lead. There's always an acoustic 6 string guitar at home on a stand at the ready. Same for a keyboard. I also have an '84 Les Paul Studio (broken head stock right now) and a Strat clone.

I also took a few college music classes and picked up some keys. Actually played keys in a working Latin rock/RnB cover band for about a year. Played rhythm guitar on a few songs.

Pretty much retired so I spend my time trying to edumacate my TB brethren as much as I can. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    My latest acquisitions

elites.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    As well as, what? or, who? :laugh:

Been doing so since well before you were, even, a twinkle in your father's eye, maybe even before his father's eye. ;)

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What?!?!?!? You didn't build your own? :woot:

I'd like to see you build a bonafide acoustic guitar, Mape. :thumbsup:

9. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I built this one a while back:

10. Green Sub

Green Sub

Aug 30, 2019
    Atlanta, GA
    I’m entry level on both guitar and bass.

As long as I can use tabs on both instruments, there is a future for my playability.

TexasHeat, Stumbo, G-Z and 2 others like this.
  11. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I've played guitar

Stumbo likes this.
  12. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I just dabble/noodle

Stumbo likes this.
  13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Started on guitar and added bass some years later.

My implements of sonic destruction

20170425_230859.

2019-09-14-15-28-59.
    2016-12-06_14.41.28.

chupacerveza, teh-slb, Stumbo and 2 others like this.
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Played and gigged on guitar for 10 years before switching to my real instrument.

15. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    Damn that is a sweet looking Tele.

16. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    I have been playing guitar since the 60s and I picked up the bass later. I am about an average player but now a days any 12 year old can play circles around me.

17. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    i am medium-low quality on both

18. wango55

wango55 Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    CT
    I also started on guitar but have always wanted to be a bassist. I was a decent guitar player (still am) but switched to bass in college because my friends needed a bassist. It gave me the chance to live out my dream so to speak. I prefer bass - I feel more comfortable laying a groove than trying to play lead on guitar. However my collection definitely leans more heavily towards guitars than basses. I enjoy picking up a guitar and coming up with chord progressions and noodling around. But most of my band experience has been as a bassist.

Stumbo likes this.
  19. I started out on guitar, and didn't touch a bass for years. It helped me in the sense that my fretting hand dexterity was good from day one when I first grabbed a bass. The distances were wider, but you adapt. I only arrived to bass by 'mistake'. A public jam session where we had no bass players... so I gave someone my guitar and I took the bass, and I LOVED IT. Within a month I bought a bass and a year later I joined a band on bass... Now I only ever play guitar at home, recording etc. I was never a great guitarist but I can manage, I'm a better bassist now (10 years later), but I find it useful to be able to play guitar in order to record little demos to show to the band, or at rehearsals etc.

It's also cool to be able to break the myth of "bass player is a failed guitarist". Yeah, I know it's silly, but a couple of times I've encountered a guitarist with a bad attitude and it was fun to casually grab his guitar and show off a little, then return it "man, that's a nice guitar" knowing that the guy feels a little silly for trying to belittle someone else. ;)

20. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I learned bass and guitar simultaneously but only got to play bass in bands, I dreamed of playing guitar in a band.

Then about 10 years after my first (school) band broke up I got a call from the guitarist, who had switched to bass, asking if I would like to play lead, I jumped at the chance.

Initially we had a rhythm and lead guitar, bass and drums and played guitar rock, I loved it. We then gained a keyboard player (Phil Allspace - he had 10 digits and was determined to get as many on the keys as possible). He didn't like being upstaged by a lead guitarist and did his best to select songs with no lead break. My job then was to play line end fills and the very occasional lead break, to say I was bored was an understatement.

After 12 years of this I was getting rather bored and was considering quitting (the money was good and the hang was ok) when the bass player quit and I seamlessly switched to bass, I've never been so happy!