1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whoops...shoot.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingOlav, Oct 28, 2013.

1. KingOlav

KingOlav

Oct 1, 2011
    So basically here's what I'm going through ampwise right now:

I sold an amp that I really shouldn't have. It was a Fender Rumble 150. I really liked it. I'll leave out the back story, but essentially one of the reasons I sold it was because I felt it would be too big to easily take away to college when I go back for my masters. (I live in NY and I plan to go to school in either New Brunswick or British Columbia...)

I'm well aware that questions like "what's the best amp" are not only totally subjective, but also asked several times a day on here, to which is often replied at least once, "it's a matter of opinion."

My question is more about what size of an amp I should get next, which would strike a balance between portability and balls. I felt like the Fender amp didn't have enough highs in the EQ to really get definition, but I did like its ability to rattle my windows.

I even don't mind small ones; I once played on a little 15 or 30-watt Peavey bass amp on which I was actually surprised by the amount of lows I was getting from it.

So to recap: do you personally own an amp that you feel has well-defined highs and house-crumbling lows in equal measure? And is it large or small?

I play live maybe once a year, and only with my friends, never in an actual concert. I mostly play by myself and plan to do a lot of travelling within the next year.

Thanks for reading.

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Donno why the amp I have would be meaningful to you. Yes, I get adequate highs and lows. It's average size for a hybrid amp. The 4x12 cabinet is big...

You can get 800W in a box smaller and lighter than a desk dictionary. After that, it's about the speakers.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    What's your budget?

4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    GK MB200 amp?
    Light weight and very portable, plus a line out for headphones.
    2 lbs.

If your looking for a combo, there is plenty of micro bass combos coming out now. You would have to test them!
    I've seen Norm Stockton play a GK MB212 combo and it was pretty loud with good tone. I believe its 200 watts @ 40 lbs.

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    It sounds to me that a Genz Benz Shuttle is right down your alley. Small, portable, the cabs are super light, deep deep lows, sparkling highs. Nothing like the presence of a tube 300 watt amp, but pretty amazing for price and portability.

I was personally impressed that I could keep up with a drummer with a 1x12 GB

6. Make sure what ever you bring to our country will work on Canuk power. Them sled dogs pulling the turbines round in the Great White North get tired y'know!! :D

And don't forget yer Mukluks. You'll need 'em to get from Igloo to Igloo. :)

7. KingOlav

KingOlav

Oct 1, 2011
    It will be pretty low once I get my Fender American Standard Lefty P-Bass. I would definitely try for 100 or less, but up to 150 if I really had to.

8. KingOlav

KingOlav

Oct 1, 2011
    haha I've still got my Queen's Standard Issue Mukluks from when I got my citizenship certificate 8 years ago.

9. KingOlav

KingOlav

Oct 1, 2011
    Oh and overall I probably should have specified I'm interested in combo units. My bad.

10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Have you considered that with a good micro, you can use headphones and NO speaker, as well as DI? Once you move, you could buy an inexpensive cab that you don't plan on moving back with you, and a good cab once you're in a more permanent housing situation. The shuttle series as well as others can be separated quite easily from their combos for transport (bang for your buck- you get a combo and a head/cab). I have the 3.0 10t shuttle and I sometimes use the head on other cabs. The 1x10 combo assembled is super light, small and easy to move around. It hangs pretty well for its size with two guitars and a sensible drummer, by use of placement and its built-in kickstand. I even pop the kickstand on the top cab when I use it with the additional 10t cab i got for it.

11. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    lmao..good one artech

12. If the Fender tripped your trigger, why not go that route again? Very affordable combos or even the 150 or 350 Rumble head with headphones works great and won't break the bank and will fit in a backpack.

13. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    The GK MB212 combo is 500 watts at 37 lbs.

It's a killer combo and can handle even the the big gigs with no pa support,,,, I have lots of hands on experience with the MB212, both the series l (discontinued) and the new series ll MB212

The Norm Stockton video you referenced was him with the older first gen MB212 combo,,, the newer MB212 series ll combos are even better than the older model featured in that Norm video.

On another note I've compared the Fender Rumbles to the GK MB210 and MB212 combos,,,,, both GK's totally blew away the Rumbles,,, it wasn't even a fair contest,,,, plus the GK's weigh a hell of a lot less than the Fenders do.

Cheers
    Davyo

14. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Davyo

You are absolutely right!
    For some reason I was thinking about the MB112 combo 200watts with 30lbs. But for some reason my mind thought about the time Norm Stockton had a clinic in Orange County, he had a GK MB212 500watts with 40lbs. I some how mixed the two combos.

My advice to the OP, the MB112 combo would be a good portable match for you. You can also add, later on, a MBP112 cab for extra volume.
    It's a self powered cab, all you do is feed a signal using a XLR cable from the GK MB combo into the MBP cab.

15. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    On a side note,,, I also own the first gen GK MB112, 200 watter at 21 lbs, and that little combo rocks,, its amazing to say the least.

I use it at rehearsals with my rather loud rock band and it has not problem keeping up.

I'm sure the new MB112 with the chain out to a MBP112 cab would be a KILLER little stack.

Cheers
    Davyo

16. KingOlav

KingOlav

Oct 1, 2011
    No, I had not considered that, but I think it's a great idea. I've never worked with anything but combos, but I do have a pretty sick set of Sennheiser 280s that would work with, so thanks for the suggestion!

17. I will second this. I have an MB212 and it has plenty of power, great sound, and 38 lbs.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Do you have an iPad or iPhone?

Grab an Apogee Jam
    Download JamUp XT Pro and the bass expansion pack
    Enjoy great sound and a really convenient practice solution.

You can even plug it into a PA to use live if you want.

19. KingOlav

KingOlav

Oct 1, 2011
    While I'm on this, I have another question. Let's pretend for a moment that I decide on the Gallien-Krueger MB200 ultralite head. Is there a limit to the size cabinet that can power? I don't know too much about power/output ratios, and I'm wondering how I find out what size cabinet the MB200 (or a similar 200-watt amp head) would best be paired with?

I don't know anything about impedance or ohms. Or um. Electrician stuff.

20. 4ohm minimum, otherwise no limit.