1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's gone back to rounds on their P-types or never left?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Nov 23, 2018.

1. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    I jumped on the wagon early on. After many years of playing round wounds on all my basses I started using flats about 10 years ago on my p styles. A few months ago I decided to put a set of rounds on my U.S. Lakland 4451m. So fresh to my ears. Piano like tones that I've missed. The band seemed to notice for the better. (But what do guitar players know) Not saying that I'm back for good. I keep my 72 P with flats for now anyway. But I'm digging the sizzle.

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Tried flats, not a fan.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've been playing a P with rounds for over 15 years. I actually recently got another one to try flats.

Spidey2112, lowdownthump and markob like this.
  4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I’ve got one P with flats and one with rounds.

Horses for courses.

5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I have both. As I look over at my stand, I have two p basses and a jazz with flats, the other four with SS rounds. I prefer rounds, but love the flats as well. Each have their place.

6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I dig flats but rounds will always be my go-to sound.

7. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Me. Me. Me. Tried flats and found them, well, flat. Went back to rounds. Different strokes.... Just my personal preference.

8. Don't like flats, I want more than just lows and thumpiness.

9. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I love flats but IMO rounds have a wider range of tones and are more versatile when it comes to playing different kinds of music and using different playing techniques.

10. Passive P + Flats + pick + aggressive technique = Awesomeness!!

I have 3 P basses: Two with rounds, and One with flats. The guitarist calls this bass ‘The Freight Train’.

Yes, flats are less versatile, but they do what they do exceptionally well.

11. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    I play halfs on my P. It's like getting that worn in sweet spot from day one. Stringing my MTD K5 with tapes, just because I like the sheer force that erupts when I play those.

12. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Rounds only, prefer broken-in sound, usually tone knob down. :)

13. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Once I put tapewounds on my Precision I haven't felt the need to change them. Love 'em. This was the sound I was looking for.

14. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Rounds on my P just works for me!

lowdownthump, Spidey2112 and markob like this.
  15. Yeah, l switched the flats on my single coil P with the strings on my split coil, which were rounds.

I'm going to switch them back, as l seem to like the top end l get with the flats on the single coil, and miss the slight grind of the rounds on the split.

Most likely because I'm a jazz bass guy at heart. o_O

16. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Glad you are digging them!

I have P’s and J’s with both flats and rounds. Which one I bring depends on the gig.

I also decide on a ‘bass by bass’ basis. Some Basses sound better with rounds, and some get better tones with flats.

17. I’ve bought basses with flats on them a fretless p kept them until I sold it, the G&L L2000 and the music man sterling didn’t last very long, before getting my rounds of choice. I don’t know what it is specifically I just can’t do flats. They just don’t feel or sound right to me. My playing sounds better with a more dynamic range. Flats make me sound like the hack I am!

18. Sounds like the garden of delights : )

Now I want to experiment...

Gotta go get some flats to try...

Used to have flats when I had 72 Tele Bass, but never really played it, but loved it when I did. Have always instead played fat super slinky's on everything else.

bearfoot and markob like this.
  19. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    ^This^ Using my tone controls and plucking placement, I can get a pretty good flat thump. But you can't do sparkly bright with flats. There's just so much more versatility in rounds.

I think it also has something to do with growing up with Chris Squire, Jack Casady, Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee. Now if I had an extra P clone for a few bucks I'd put some flats on it if i ever wanted that Tower of Power thump.

20. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I'm historically a rounds guy, but did put together a Partscision out of a Squier Dirnt body and CV 51 P neck just for being a flats bass. I still keep it in flats as the strings have broken in nicely and I shouldn't have to change them for 20 years. haha