1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's never owned a Fender bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slade N, Jul 31, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

1. yes

213 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. no

195 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    The recent post about brands that you've not held or played made me realize that I've not owned a Fender bass which is a bit surprising as they are so common and I would think most players do or would have. Ive played a small amount but not that many actually. This isnt hating on Fender btw.

So, who has not owned a Fender bass?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have never owned a Fender bass.

Riis

3. Do you consider a Squier to be a low end Fender or a separate brand? I've owned 2 Squier basses but never made the climb up the price ladder.

RumbleBot, theduke1, Spectrum and 3 others like this.
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I started playing in '71, I don't think I bought my first 7ender until 2009. I am pretty much a Gibson Thunderbird player. Btw Slade N I am a big Slade, Jim Lea fan!

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

they also happen to be 'a bit average' unless you're lucky. and new ones are overpriced, of course.

if you like the squiers you have: why bother?

lots of TBers have both, and some compare the squiers as: "as good" or "better." IME: almost anyone can build a better 'fender' than fender. also: some fender fans are folks who genuinely like the brand and/or the axes they can pick from the offerings. but some fender fans are folks who'd follow the crowd just to be a part of that crowd.

per the OP: i voted "yes." i've owned them, played them, loved them --- having them taught me how i might get better 'fenders' by building them myself, from their own parts (or cloned parts). if you're ambivalent about the fender brand = you should at least try some...the experience could change your life, or your perspective, or both! but one 'win' is better than no wins. :D

6. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    upload_2020-7-31_10-8-10.jpeg

According to the reigning King Of R&B, and confirmed by the worldly philosophers, owning a Fender is a prerogative not a privilege.....057912

The Owl likes this.
  7. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    I've never owned one and don't intend to when there are much better value basses around that tick the right boxes. I think they're too expensive for what they are.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    SunByrne, kodiakblair, Yonni and 7 others like this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    opening the case of my '65 was life-altering, the Fullerton aroma is still a massive rush
    I'd suggest anyone never experiencing such a thing merely buy a vintage case and enjoy!

covermego likes this.
  9. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Never owned a Fender, only ever owned 3 basses. I nearly bought a American Deluxe Jazz when I was buying my first 'nice' bass but ended up with a Stingray 4HH, I definitely made the right choice.

I have got serious GAS for an all-black deluxe Duff McKagan signature PJ though! Think that will be my next bass if I don't get a better 5 string.

TheReceder likes this.
  10. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    I own 1 Fender, in 20 years of playing, and I just got it about a year ago. Maybe I got lucky but it’s a really nice bass. It fits in nicely with my FGN and EBMM, in terms of build quality and tone.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I would amend the question to "has anyone owned three or more basses and not owned a fender. I can see a lot of people that owned 1 bass and it not being a fender... 2-3 it's possible... but once you get around 5... that I assume would be a rarity. Me I'm A bit of an oddball... I've usually got between 15-20 basses and never owned a fretted P-bass.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    Sachelis, Dubious Aa and JRA like this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    If you don’t own a Fender here’s what I say “ pobrecitos”:woot::smug:

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Never owned a Fender.
    It could happen but very few models seduce me.
    I could see myself with an Urge, a Katana or a Performer for example.

14. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Gypsies, tramps, and thieves....I heard it from the people of the town.

15. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    I own 30+ basses. None of them are Fender. Some are Fender copies, most are not. I have no feelings about Fender as a brand at all, either way. They are just too expensive for what they are. I have played them in shops. If a lefty Aerodyne turned up at the right price I'd have it. There isn't anything else Fender that appeals

16. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Of the eight basses I've owned, none of them have been a Fender. I have owned a Leo Fender designed bass, but it was a G&L. On another note, I've never owned a bass with a pickguard.

17. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I have 2 Squiers; a Mini P and a Bronco. They're both wonderful.

But you're asking about Fenders.

I won't even look at Fenders that I can afford. Mainly because in my price range, they're most likely either gonna be fake, or trash.

Joybass likes this.
  18. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    I have never owned a Fender Bass.

Don't shoot me, I'm just a piano player, but I really like my Peavey Unity basses.

19. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    To be honest, the last basses I bought were an EMBB 4h and an L2000. Odds are pretty good that if I'd owned the same basses back in 1975, I probably would have a lot fewer basses today. It's amazing how Leo was able to evolve the bass.

20. Squier is the closest I came. Only one time did I spend the amount of money Fender asks for a Mexican made bass, and it bought me a Yamaha BB1025X. Do I regret that? No.

RumbleBot, knight of ni and bpc like this.