Who's using mics for live performance?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MikeBarber, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just cause I like to post it
    bridgepic1.jpg

2. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Been pretty happy using an ATM350 blended via Headway Pre with a Planet Wings (which will soon be replaced with a Realist, since the PW's been shorting out). Depending on the situation I'll run just the ATM350 or just the PW though.

3. juuzek

juuzek

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I like this. Is the mic just snugged in there with a cylinder of foam? Does it need phantom power? [I'm guessing not]

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  5. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-T...23-i1275241.gc?&source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla&=

Not advocating purchasing anything from GC, but I use one of these clipped to the bass side bridge adjuster, with the capsule aimed directly at the top over the bass bar.

I learned this from an amazing live sound engineer who argued that since the bass bar is the loudest vibrating source on the top, it's the best place to get a pure signal. It's often a little thick at 100k, but the sound out front is pretty authentic. A skeptical engineer came up on stage recently and shook my hand, professing his initial doubt but that "it sounded like a big loud bass."

BTW, using a mic with an amp on stage is often a recipe for feedback. Most of the guys using mics are doing so exclusively for FOH, while monitoring through a pickup- amp on stage. The only ones where mic only works for me are small intimate listening rooms where the mic-amp combo is giving a little nudge.

Also, the AT mic requires phantom, which is a button away on my acoustic image amp.

6. D112 is a little too boomy I think I prefer the Senhnheisser 421 but well out of the 100 buck range.

7. Mandobassman

Mandobassman

May 16, 2012
    There's lots of great suggestions here. In post #2 a AKG D112 was recommended. I used that mic for a couple of years and it IS a great mic for live use. However, it is a P.I.T.A to set up and not easy to mount. And, it is certainly not in the "under $100 range". I asked this same question a little while back and the resulting setup I wound up with is not only cheap, it sounds wonderful. Much better than any pickup I have ever heard. Here is a link to that thread to get the details. Basically, it's a Radio Shack tie clip mic that costs $32. Sounds crazy, I know, but it's the best amplified sound I have ever had, and the easiest setup ever, once I installed it on the bass. Just plug it into my GK Backline 112 and I get wonderful full sound with virtually no feedback. At $32, it's worth a try.

8. I use the Shure 57 (with an H-Clamp), and I've liked it a lot. Every house soundguy knows how it works, and if I happen to forget it home, you can find one at every venue.

Obviously, it's not perfect, but it works for me. However, while playing a gig our National Broadcast Company recorded, they let me use a DPA 4099, and that was like heaven.

-Maksim

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    he're mine

Attached Files:

10. Refonbass

Refonbass Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    My current setup, which by the way is hands down my favorite is as follows;
    Blue Woodpecker active ribbon mic, with custom fabbed foam/rubber baffle to block ambient (other players) sound.
    Running this through a golden age pre73 mkII dlx preamp to the p.a.
    Granted this is a lot of stuff to bring/setup at the gig, but after being so unsatisfied with my tone with various pickups over the years, it's worth it IMO.
    Also, I don't play on a lot of high volume gigs so that may be why the setup works quite well for me.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021