1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's using SWR IOD's still?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dharma, Mar 30, 2006.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Is anybody still using their IOD and enjoying it? I'm noticing a lot of people moving on from that particular preamp.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've still got mine, it's not my only pre, but I definitely use it.

3. Markus Bender

Markus Bender

Dec 15, 2005
    Germany
    I put mine on german ebay a couple of days ago...

4. I still use mine.
    I run it flat, no EQ, no overdrive.

School #2

5. i still use a model of one. i love its sounds.

robb.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Mine's not going anywhere! I've been using it more than my other preamps lately.

I keep my IOD in a rack with my SansAmp RBI. The IOD is darker and gives a lot more fuzz (when I want that). The RBI can get much brighter (when I want that). I typically leave the RBI bypassed, and use the IOD with a mild amount of grit and the mids bumped up for punch and growl.

7. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Count me in as officially interested in purchasing somebody's.

What power amps are you guys running them into? Explain your setups with them and what you think the strengths/weaknesses are, if ya don't mind.

8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Yes.

9. I run my IOD bi-amped. It feeds a Rane MX22 active crossover and a DBX 120a sub-synth which drives a QSC PLX power amp. I have a Rane ME30B 31-band EQ in the rack to EQ the rig to flat. I run the IOD tone controls flat, no drive, no enhancement.

All connections are balanced XLR for hum control. I use the IOD's DI out into the EQ, 120a, and MX22. The PLX is set up in stereo (dual mono). The MX22 High goes to one channel, the Low goes to the other.

I use Speakon 4-pole connectors in the rack. The PLX Low output wires to Pair #1 and the High wires to Pair #2. I use standard 4-wire Speakon cables to the cabs. The two jacks in the cabs are wired in parallel (for daisy chaining). The speaker is connected to either Pair #1 or Pair #2 depending on if Low or High.

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    My main rack, from top to bottom is:

SWR Power 750 power amplifier
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive
    Trace Elliot V-Type rack preamp
    JoeMeek VC1Qcs mic pre/eq/comp/etc

Strengths of the IOD:

1. Sound quality
    2. EQ flexibility
    3. 5W power amp output, great for guitar or as a practice amp
    4. All balanced connections

Weaknesses:

1. Bass distortion. I know the IOD is supposed to be the be-all/end-all of bass distortion boxes, but I still haven't found a use for distortion on bass guitar.
    2. Heavy, relative to other preamps
    3. Discontinued.

Mainly, I use the IOD as a clean preamp, not even touching the power tubes. I think it's a fantastic sounding clean preamp. I run my eq flat (usually), except for the infamous SWR "Aural Enhancer" at about 1:00-2:00. The regular eq section I normally only use for room balance. Usually, I run the output of the IOD into my JoeMeek, which I normally only use for it's optical compressor section.

Sometimes, when I really want the totally old-skool sound, I use the V-Type instead of the IOD. The IOD is much more "modern" sounding in its clean mode than the V-Type.

The preamp in the VC1Qcs also serves as a backup instrument pre.

The Power 750 kicks a--...

The whole reason I went with the IOD in the first place was because I thought I might use it with my guitars, as well. Using the speaker output of the IOD gives you a really good sounding 5W guitar amp. The distortion from the power tubes sounds great with a guitar, unlike how I feel about it with my basses. Unfortunately, using the IOD as a power amp means you lose all eq functions, but I don't have a problem with that.

11. Fuzzbass

I run my IOD mono into a Stewart World 2.1 amplifier. It sounds especially cool thru my Bergantino NV610 cabinet.

I mostly but not entirely agree with amper's comments on strengths and weaknesses. My thoughts:

Strengths:

1. Sound quality
    2. Distortion quality (light and heavy). If you don't like distortion, you don't have to use it. :)
    3. 5W power amp output, great for guitar or as a practice amp
    4. All balanced connections

Weaknesses:

1. I like the EQ voicing, but the EQ overall isn't as versatile as many modern preamps (Ampeg, Eden, etc). The IOD has just one band of midrange, 'nuff said. OK, you can cut mids with the Enhance knob, but I don't think this is a big whoop. It would be nice to have bright and deep switches. Even nicer: a semi-parametric mid and/or multiple bands of mid.
    2. Heavier than many preamps
    3. Discontinued (apparently)

12. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    hi, could someonw post a clip of an overdriven IOD. I'm thinking of building one myslef and housing it into a big pedal.

Also, have you tried adding a load to the speaker output and seeing if there is any difference in sound through the preamp output taken after the power tube?

greetings

13. Fuzzbass

Most distortion sounds horrible through modern ported/tweetered bass cabinets. This is one reason I loved my Bergantino NV610: it's a sealed, tweeterless box that sounds great with overdrive ranging from mild to heavy.

I never found much use for the heavy distortion... except when I was in a band that did some old Grand Funk Railroad covers ("I'm Your Captain", "Inside Lookin' Out"). For those tunes, the IOD could get me pretty darn close to Schacher-tone!

But typically I use my IOD for mild overdrive that wasn't audible in the mix... just there to warm up my tone.

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ditto. I keep the same rack setup but I use the RBI or the IOD depending on my mood. I particularly like the IOD's "out-of-phase" settings. I'm running the whole schmear thru an RNC compressor, Crest CA-6, and Acme B-4.

Riis

15. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I've kind of rediscovered mine and am using it all the time now. Back when I was playing in an R&B band, I stopped using it because "it sounded too 'rock'", but now I'm in a rock band...so well, it works great!

Love it or hate, there's no other pre out there that does quite the same thing. I agree that heavy distortion is not its forte. It's best at getting SVT/old Marshall type sounds. It'll nail Jack Bruce tone. You can't understand what the IOD sounds like a bedroom volumes---you really only hear its true character at performance volumes. It really makes my QSC PLX damp and breath like a big ol' tube amp.

I find the best way to set it is to turn it up till it distorts, then turn it down a bit---it still won't be clean though; it just gets the special kind of beef only a tube rig can give ya.

It's a very unique design--it's a preamp, that runs into it's tiny tube power amp that has a built in load, which attenuates the signal back down to preamp levels.

16. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    clips anyone??:crying: