Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whose the first to go?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Alright, times are hard and someone has got to go. Who will it be? The percussionist? The "DJ"? The assistant rapper?(I have yet to see any rapper able to do a show by themselves.) How about the horns? Keyboards? If you have experience with this tell me about it.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you might want to give us a bit more context. Like who is in the band, who seems to contribute the least, who does the most. The style of music. Then we can help you a bit better.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The bass player.

Who will you miss the least? Can the keyboard player cover the horn parts? How many horns are there? How integral is the dj?

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Rappers and Dj's put bass players and percussionists out of a job with the push of a button.........

5. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Probably the horns. But the term "assistant rapper" really cracks me up. "DAWG! Lemme he'p ya rap that, bro'!"

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What's the correct name for the guy on the stage with the rapper hollering "yeah, come on, come on," and "wave your hands in the air like you just don't care?"

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    with a band that size don't fire the van owner! :D

9. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    If there is a rapper and assistant rapper then i think maybe you should worry about youre spot in the band!LOL

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You got that right! You can't fire the guy who owns most of the PA either. BTW, you would not catch me in a band with a rapper or his "assistant."

11. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Usually "Douchey McDouchebag", or "Pointless dufus" covers that guy.

I'm sorry, I just cannot STAND the plethora of "uhh", "yeah", and "come on" drowning out the beats in modern rap-based music. Some of the music is really tasty back there but we can't hear it over your idiot "assistant rappers", people!

Now back to being nice.
    I love everybody.

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Do you need special qualifications to be an "assistant rapper?" Can anyone do this or do I need to go down to the community college and sign up for a special certificate program? What about those "distance learning" programs (they used to be called correspondence courses)? Perhaps a double-major, assistant rapping and taxidermy? I wish I had known about this field when I was choosing my graduate program!

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    No degree needed. Just wear an athletic jersey and say "wave your hands in the air like you just don't care."

15. I believe the correct name is Lil' Jon.
    (Yaiah! Wat?! OoK!) ;)

16. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The problem may lie with the fact that I do care. The hand waving just seems hollow without the Devil-may-care attitude. Here, let me try. . . . . . . (man flaps arms like a total spaz) no. . . . nope! Just not working for me! Does a field hockey tunic count as athletic wear? What about a Star Trek uniform?

17. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    "Assistant Rapper" has to be the best thing I've heard all week.

Looks like I have something new to add to my business card right underneath "Notary Public", "Ombudsman" and "Semi-Professional Snake Handler" :D

18. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    This thread made my day. :D

19. Assistant rapper almost sounds office worker like, or a dental assistant. " fetch me a coffee, and be quick about it"

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Assistant rapper. Chris Rock needs to run with this topic. Too funny.