Why are amps still dinosaurs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcducttaper, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
  2. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    I was referring to a single tablet, you know an iPad.

As far as multicores and such being obsolete, a former bandmate from long ago started a business 25 years ago making custom panels for touring rigs. His company is still quite busy; sure digital snakes have cut into his business some but he still turns out a lot of product.

As far as setup and teardown, I always told people I played for free, the money was for the work involved in setting up and tearing down LOL.

Analogeezer

Boomhowertx, DJ Bebop and agedhorse like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Having mixed on both platforms, there is nothing worse IMO than mixing on a tablet. While there can be some convenience aspects to it, the feature set and feel of a real control surface far outweighs everything else.

Maybe mixing 8 channels it wouldn’t be so bad, but 32+ channels with 8-10 monitor mixes would be beyond inconvenient at best.

Setup and tear down is part of the job, no different than a band’s need to learn new material and practice. We would typically use a few hundred pounds of cabling (not counting feeder or distribute) on a show

Boomhowertx and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. minority-report-irl__w770.jpg
    ...if I could just find the master volume..

5. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I a basic B/M/T tone stack can't handle, chances are very good I shouldn't be trying it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. I fully agree. A friend of mine asked me to mix a choir and the Ukrainian Bandurist Chorus from Chicago, on a tablet. After that experience, if it doesn't have knobs and faders, I don't want anything to do with it.

When you need to adjust something NOW, a touch screen just doesn't cut it.

DJ Bebop and agedhorse like this.
  7. Perhaps it's not the amps, but I, that has become a dinosaur; A crusty old curmudgeon at the very least.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Good amps are musical instruments. Some things can't be improved just by new tech.

A 5th grader once said to me, "how could something be new and improved?":)

Boomhowertx and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are many DIFFERENT ways to skin this cat. Off the top of my head I can think of 8 or 10 different "basic" approaches.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 3:25 PM
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oh, I'm sure there are many. It's not the amp in this case, it's totally the operator. The fewer opportunities I have to ruin the tone, the better. A tin-ear like me with infinite adjustability on a rig only means bad things.

12. I fall into the "less is enough" category. I look for basses and amps that have the least amount of knobs and gadgets. B/M/T is all I need. My current amps don't even have effect loops. Guess I'm a crusty old curmudgeon too, but it's served me well for 58 years of playing gigs.

Red Scorpion and Rockbobmel like this.
  13. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I can hardly believe the cockpit of the SpaceX capsule: 3 very large screens and just a few knobs & buttons in the middle - less than on my pickup truck! If I saw that in a SciFi movie, I would think it was the lamest set design of all time. But it's not a set; truth is stranger than fiction.
    I like what Tesla is doing overall. If I won one of the cars in a raffle, I would probably keep it (assuming I could fit my upright bass in the hatchback). I must admit, though: that hyper-minimal dashboard might take a bit of getting used to.

byacey and agedhorse like this.
  14. They still haven't figured out how to place the cigarette lighter on the touch screen.:D

Passinwind, swink and agedhorse like this.
  15. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    They oblige you to use the E-cigarette, and their problem is solved. :rolleyes:

agedhorse likes this.
  16. Red Scorpion

Red Scorpion

Aug 3, 2021
    I don't know. Music is a very personal thing and there's no right or wrong outside of what the individual wants. I don't want technology and apps and touch screens on my bass amps. I want to plug it into the wall and roll with it. Then again, I'm not super particular about the nuances of tone values. I follow the philosophy of the famous Greek philosopher Mediocrates and say "eh, good enough".

Maybe I'm the dinosaur. I think that the more complex a piece of equipment is, the higher the chances of failure. But to each his own, if it pleases you, then it's the right thing for you.

chadds, Boomhowertx and agedhorse like this.
  17. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Bolded for truth.
    And my new signature.

Red Scorpion likes this.
  18. When I see this...
    downloadfile.jpg
    It makes me think how easy it used to be....
    e722068fe909be6ab673fcca2fee5487.jpg

19. lpxerodin

lpxerodin

Oct 22, 2006
    Shame on me for replying without reading the thread…. But forever ago I got rid of everything and went with a Boss GT-10B through two Mackie SRM450v2s for home practice and band practice. I always go to FOH and at live shows I’ll bring the 450v2s for use as stage monitors. More than happy with the setup. Have successfully used this setup for shows ranging from 400/500 to 2,000-4,000. No regrets.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021