Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why cabs with all the same speaker size?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Dec 13, 2005.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    OK, so today I'm the king of the dumb questions.

I know that a lot of this information has probably been discussed here but searching through 500 threads is frustrating.

Why do cabs usually come with multiple speakers that are all the same size? 4x10, 8x10, 2x15, etc.

Wouldn't you have a better overall response with a set up that had multiple speaker sizes, say 1x18 plus 2x10?

Chad

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes.
    Because it's easier and cheaper to do it that way.

3. Many great builders agree with you, thats why 3 and 4 way cabs are getting more and more common among high end companies. FlattER responce and better dispersion.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know that i prefer cabs w/o x-overs, because in my experience playing they can be unreliable. i have had several x-overs fry (the low-pass cap) at gigs. i'd rather my x-overing be done actively, before the power section.

that being said, there are a lot of builders out there now making some kick-ass cabinets - the guys at accugroove spring to mind - and i'm sure that the quality of components is better now than they were twelve years ago (the last time i had a 2-way xover-equipped cab).

also, having different cabs for each freq range allow a bit more tweaking of one's sound, which is something i like. my speaker combination is sorta unusual, and consequently nobody is going to sound like me, even if they have the same basses (heh although that's not really likely) and the same rig.

-that- being said, my rig is a pain to lug around, and a single cab that did it all and could convince me that its internal passive elements were reliable would be something i'd definitely be interested in.

whew, talk about ping-pong heh

5. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I can see where a 1x18 plus 2x10 cab would be a pain to build and lug around. Perhaps the better solution would be to use two extensions...one 1x18 and a 2x10?

Chad

P.S. Bill, is there an Audio Engineering for dummies book out there somewhere?

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The books by Vance Dickason, Dave Weems or Ray Alden have all the basics. There isn't much as far as pro-sound speakers are concerned, but the theory is the same.
    If it was a cap it was likely a high-pass filter, and it only fried because the mfr used a cheap one.
    Eighteens are really a dead horse, done right you don't need more than a fifteen, and a twelve is OK for most applications. A better combination is fifteens or twelves with eights or sixes; with a fifteen or twelve handling the bottom you don't need anything as large as a ten for the midbass, and eights and sixes are far better than tens in the midrange.

7. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    good to know.

can you tell me why exactly 18's aren't used?

Chad

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    For electric bass they don't offer performance that can't be achieved with smaller drivers. Even in high powered PA subwoofer applications they're dinosaurs, the best subs made today use twelves or fifteens.

9. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    I would personally like to see someone make a vertical 4x10 tower instead of your standard 2 speaker X 2 speaker rectangular box.

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

A 2x12 with a six and a dome tweeter with top
    quality components would be a great DIY project.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's what i would've thought too, but when it died the woofer died too, and the smaller speaker (no horn) was all that survived. happened with two different cabs, an ampeg and an ev.

12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

That is an interesting concept. I guess it would be difficult to put your amp on top of.

13. Thor

Tall people like me don't have that problem, shorty pants!

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I think he meant that it would probably be pretty narrow, with only the width of a single 10" driver as the starting dimension. Your amp would probably teeter-totter on top of the cab.

15. Thor

This is TB and Pics are proof.

Note Camo-man on right.
    When he grows up, we'll get him long trousers ...

I rest my case.

[/hijack]

16. The 4x8 vertical cab I built isn't able to hold an amp but at only 10" wide it doesn't take up much room sitting next to my Avatar B115.

17. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That hurts Thor, I know for a fact that at 40 years of age I am indeed still growing. Does growing out count? :D

My son, the other guy in the picture is 15 and is taller than I am.

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    He knows what I meant. He's just trying to be difficult. ;)

19. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Not if you do it right. This vertical 2x10 is 20 inches wide, so a rack mounted amp doesn't overhang the sides.
    [​IMG]

20. Thor

Bill, that is SWEET! Is that one of your designs?

Me? Difficult? Never! I'm easy, just ask any lady. :p
    Sarcastic, well, ya got me there! ;)