1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Can't I Hear The Lower Notes When Playing With A Band?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Bass Ace89bi, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Bass Ace89bi

Bass Ace89bi

Apr 26, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Hey, I was jamming with some buddies: a pianist, guitarist, a drummer, and me, a bassist. My bass sounded good to the ear, but in the recording, you could not hear the lower notes, such as open A, or lower. However, the higher ones, such as open D or higher, were much too loud. What should I do? Is this a problem with my equipment, or something else?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    How was the recording made?

JRA likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

Give us a little more to go on. What is the makeup of the band? What instruments? How many?

How were you recording? What equipment? Amp? Mic? Straight to the board?

4. Bass Ace89bi

Bass Ace89bi

Apr 26, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Okay, 1 drummer with a snare, a kick drum, high tom, low tom, flat tom, closed high hats, and two ride cymbals. One electric guitar(Squire by Fender) playing chords, one pianist on a keyboard, and me on a Yamaha RBX 800a bass.With one amp each on the guitar and bass, recording through an iPhone 7 or 8 mic. I know that's bad quality, but everything else sounded ok.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I think you answered your own question.

6. Bass Ace89bi

Bass Ace89bi

Apr 26, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I suspected as much. Have any suggestions on lower priced recording devices?

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Zoom has a whole array of affordable recorders, from hand-held field recorders (which can be mounted on a mic stand) to multi-track digital hard-disk units. They are usually pretty user-friendly and give a better result than a cell phone. Maybe the H6, it is a cross between field recorder and multi-track. Its got 2 internal mics and 4 additional inputs so you can record 6 tracks at once.

8. Bass Ace89bi

Bass Ace89bi

Apr 26, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    THERE'S your problem. Those mics are not great at picking up bass. There are quite a number of similar threads on here with folks saying the bass sounded OK while playing, but there's not much on the vid/recording. My first question (like @Reedt2000's) is what was it recorded on?. You'll need a decent playback system (with a sub) to hear the true bass from such a recording.

Reedt2000 and Bass Ace89bi like this.
  10. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    If you intend to record a full band with a single mic you'll need a good mic. Ideally you would record your bass separately direct and combine the 2 after. Where that mic is in the room is a big deal for a good recording as well. Too close and you'll hear more of whatever instrument its closest to. Too far and youre getting room reflections before your direct sound. That can sound good when done intentionally but it usually will just smear any lows the band is putting out.

Bass Ace89bi likes this.
  11. My Gopro with an external mic works pretty good.

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Even with a good recorder and decent microphones it isn't easy to get a recording where the low frequency instruments are clear and distinct.

The problem is, the bass, kick drum, and the lowest range of the guitars and keys are all fighting for the same sonic space between about 50 and 200 Hz. Sound techs and recording engineers routinely use selective EQ to give each instrument its own space to "stand out in the mix".

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Two things. First, the low end instruments are probably fighting for space by playing in the same frequencies.

Second, "recording through an iPhone 7 or 8 mic..." is totally inadequate. There are many small digital recorders with stereo pickups that would be a considerable improvement. Zoom is a good brand, but there are many others; I have a small Yamaha Pocketrak CX recorder that does a very respectable job of recording.

[​IMG]

Bass Ace89bi likes this.
  14. Bass Ace89bi

Bass Ace89bi

Apr 26, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Can't find the CX anywhere, its discontinued.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021