1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why can't I upload pictures

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by BanjoKing, Oct 26, 2013.

1. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    Hi I'm new to the forum and I need to upload some pictures to my post to help describe the issue that I'm having but it says I don't have permission... How to I go about getting permission?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi,
    new members can't upload pictures immediately because of the number of spambots joining and posting tracking pixel images, malware links etc.
    This restriction is eased at somepoint after joining, based on a combination of time since joining and number of posts. For security reasons, I can't tell you what that is but if you keep posting on talkbass this restriction will be lifted.
    Sorry for any inconvenience, we regret that we had to do this but are looking out for the entire Talkbass membership

3. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    Well it's obvious i'm not a bot so can I get ahold of a mod and have it lifted? I really need help with the bridge on my bass and I cant describe it with just words

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Unfortunately, this setting cannot be easily circumvented on a per-user basis. I'd encourage you to simply use a 3rd party image hosting system (the most popular one used on TalkBass is photobucket.com). Simply upload your pics there, and they'll provide you with the code to paste into your post.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You mean there's a way to post pictures here that doesn't involve a third party hosting site?

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    You click on the paperclip to add an attachment.
    You then upload some number (up to 2 per post, I believe) of files. There are size and extension restrictions but they're reasonable. This includes a 'thumbnail' in the post which will expand into a new tab or window when clicked.

7. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    The only problem I have with that is the fact that I am using a phone and I find it a pain in the ass to just do this, I think trying to use photobucket on here would just be more stress on me

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey man! Welcome to TalkBass! Sorry you are having such a problem with how we do things around here. We really can offer you some help if you were to jump through the hoops just this once and use the attachment function. I am not a mod but I can tell you they do an outstanding job of protecting this site from scams. So, to me, it is worth the hassle for new members to have to wait a little while before having full benefit of using all possible pic options.

Again, we can help with your problem. Just take a sec and figure out how to do what you want to do. In this day and age of technology, nothing is a stressful as you are making it seem.

I don't think it is asking a lot of you to figure it out just this once to allow you access to the amazing amount of information available here. I hope you figure it out and stick around. You won't believe what you can learn here.

Simply hook up your phone to your computer. Most will prompt you to connect your phone storage to the computer. Touch the "OK" button (or whatever your phone asks). Then use the attach paper clip under "advanced" when making a post. Once you click the paper clip, use "my computer" or something similar to find your file in the phone. Click on it and click "open" in the window. Then in the attachment window, click "upload file". Sure, it is a couple of extra steps but really not a big deal.

Hope you stay!

9. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    The problem is I don't have a computer, the old lady has one at home but I'm at work for another 17 days so I was just looking for a way to do it without a computer

10. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    And why not add a mandola and viola section to the site, since those could be considered bass

11. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    You should be all set now to upload pics.

12. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383011578.091811.

Tried and working, thanks man I appreciate it