1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why cant we all read?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jpeachbass, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    No, you haven't. Every time someone has advocated the value of learning to read music you've had some sort of counter argument against it.

Nobody said reading music would guarantee results. It just opens doors. Why discourage that?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    One last time... I am not arguing against the value of reading. I am pointing out that many of the exaggerated results of reading come from people who refuse to really think before they right.

If people can't understand the difference, that's cool... and to be expected.

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Every time Brad gets involved in a thread, three things happen:

(1) No matter how long the thread was before he got involved, Brad virtually instaneously becomes the top poster.

(2) No matter what the thread was previously about, it becomes a thread about Brad Johnson.

(3) No matter how civil or interesting the discussion was before he got involved, the thread becomes a pointless morass about who said what to whom, until the moderators step in and put the thread out of its misery by closing it.

Just put him on your ignore list. Trust me, it makes TB a much more enjoyable place.

4. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    arguing for the sake of arguing? To be expected.

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Really. That is simply ignorant. Willfully so because the posts are still there. By all means don't reference them to find out how how woefully wrong you are.
    :D

Again, the posts are still there. They are speaking of what WILL, not MIGHT result. That's WRONG. And worse.
    :cool:

Apparently this is above many pay grades.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Apparently beats the heck out of reading for comprehension, eh?

Bye.

7. Brad, what's with all the mock offence when you know full well your just playing word games. You said it right here:

That to me indicated a totaL LACK OF PRACTICE.

So your reply full of offence cannot be taken seriously nor can your incorrect claims that others are putting words in your mouth by accurately interperting what you say.

After clearly indicating above that you don't typically practice, this reply is just silly:

-eSmith.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

It's cool. I understand that you really haven't understood a word I've said.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    no brad, it's just that the obvious doesn't need to be stated. obviously you need to work at reading to get the benefit. obviously you still need to practice your instrument. only someone who is doing a phony devil's advocate act on the internet would pretend that we're saying you don't have to apply yourself to make it work if we don't point it out every single time we mention the benefits.

my new space age washing machine liquid guarantees cleaner clothes and brighter whites, but it's patently obvious to anyone that if you leave it in the box that it's not going to do anything except congeal over time. same for reading, and castigating someone for not pointing that out is a bunch of crap, and it's one of the big reasons why so many people get on you in these arguments. so just to make you happy:

GUARANTEED RESULTS DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DON'T WORK AT IT.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You know it's strange... it indicated to me that I'd gotten to a point where I didn't need to hold my bass to learn how to play a song on it... because I've practiced.

It's cool. I understand that you really haven't understood a word I've said.

Seriously I have no idea what you're smoking. read the thread again and see if you feel the same way. This time without offense.

Again, I didn't say I didn't practice. That was simply you jumping to an ill advised conclusion.

Funny stuff.

11. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    and with that, I bid a fond adieu.

For the non-readers, please look at (some of) these posts as simply encouraging you to unlock the door to greater appreciation/understanding of music by learning to read music.

It may take a while, but I promise you that with some effort you'll get there. 99.9% of music readers will tell you that it is indeed worthwhile. Don't let those .1% who say that learning music won't guarantee anything (d'oh!) discourage you from making the effort.

And pay no attention to the "devil's advocate" in the crowd. He makes a lot of noise, but behind the smoke and mirrors there's apparently not much wisdom to be gained from him. He'd rather argue than have a meaningful discussion. As usual.

12. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Man, this thread is full of the chuckles :D

Columbo wouldn't even be able to figure what the heck has happened here ..... :help:

Thanks, fellas, you all have made a VERY boring conference call quite entertaining .... :cool:

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You know, Jimmy, I would've thought the obvious wouldn't need tobe stated either but after being here this long I know you can't take anything for granted.

Hey, did ya here, now I'm against practice too.
    :hyper:

And even if you do the results are not guaranteed.

You guys are killing me.

I read treble clef for trumpet from maybe grades 3 through 12. By the logic here I should've been able to play ANYTHING.

When I talk about playing, I mean whatever the music is AT SPEED. Just incase the obvious is deluding anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.