1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did you choose to play bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dinoplasty, Oct 3, 2009.

1. dinoplasty

dinoplasty

Sep 11, 2009
    Hi, i'm kind of new here and just wondering what are reasons why you play bass? :bassist:

2. 30 years ago, in the 8th grade, a dude needed a bass player to complete his band. I was antisocial, so my folks gladly bought me a cheap bass & amp to integrate me into society. If they only knew what *society* that would eventually get me involved w/they might have got me into guns instead. :)
    What's your story?

3. dinoplasty

dinoplasty

Sep 11, 2009

mine's not as cool, lol. i've been learning piano for the past 9 years, and wanted to learn something else. i saw a local fusion band play. the bassist looked cool and made sounds, that at the time, i didn't know a bass could make.

4. Well the cool thing about yours is that it was more your decision- I was just going along w/the *crowd*
    :cool:

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Ok i cant really remember. This November it will have been 6 years, I do remember being 13 and watching south park. They form a band and make the black kid play bass, he says "i dont have a bass", they reply "your black there has to be one in your basement".He then finds it and says "i cant play ", they reply "your black of course you can" and well he can. Really thats what i trace it back to and i was a big Guns N rose fan and Duff mckagan looked "cool" to me thus i got a bass for my 14 birthday , a pawn shop special dean edge. Formed my first band , and wrote my first song with it and actually its my only bass right now i still play it daily.I really want a new bass its pretty beat and its frets are worn i have had many other ones but sold them over the years.

Then i found out guitar is fun to power cord on but thats another story, i am a pretty bad guitar player.

6. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    I tried various instruments, Guitar, Vocals, Drums, Keyboards, you name it. Failed at all of them, friend of mine leant me his bass for a couple of days and I picked up almost immediately. I've been playing just shy of 3 years now, been on TB for about 1 year. And thanks to TB I've spent all my money on FX.

7. Tuba wasn't getting me laid.

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Bass won't either......

9. Speak for yourself "ugly",past history and current wife would disagree. :D

10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I stand corrected.

11. I met my wife of 16 years+8 more together at a gig. We have 3 kids. I've never played tuba.

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    I played guitar, then sax, then back to guitar. In college I was playing a gig on Sunset Blvd, now called the Viper Room, then Filthy McNasty's. We were the first band of a two band night so as I was helping clear the stage for the next group, I carried out the bassist gear who was inside getting us paid.

A couple of long hairs came up to me and asked if I wanted to audition for a band the next day at SIR (Studio Instrument Rentals on Vine at Santa Monica Blvd in Hwd). We talked and I agreed to audition on bass. It was for a native American band, Redbone. I was 22 at the time and I'll be 60 in April. Never switched instruments again.

-richard

13. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    In 1966 I saw a band on TV (Shindig....remember that show?). The band was Cream, and the lead singer was, and remains, the coolest guy I have ever seen. I told my parents "see that guy? Thats gonna be me!" A month later, my father came home with a red Gibson short scale bass, and I've been hooked ever since. Thanks dad....RIP!

14. As a lapsed guitar player - played for 15 years, then put it down for the next 15 - I bought an inexpensive Squier bass thinking it would be fun to jam a little with my teenage daughter who was starting in with electric guitar. She dropped guitar. But I ended up falling in love with an instrument. Never having payed too much attention to bass, I've stepped well over the low-end line, where it's impossible to listen to music w/out hearing the bass first. And I wouldn't want it any other way. I enjoy playing guitar again too, but bass guitar... fuggedaboudit. Like I said - I'm in love.

15. Geddy Freaking Lee. Also because i've always favored the low octave instruments and being a rather large person, i felt wierd playing a regular guitar and bass just feels natural.

16. I used to sing in a band and play rythm guitar, and the bass player quit... my brother had a bass he no longer played, wich i loved playing, and since my band couldn't find a new bass player I started taking my brother's bass to rehearsals...
    a few months later the band broke up, but i decided to switch and never really played guitar again.

17. Bass chose me - it was natural and I had no choice.

18. Byzcat

Byzcat

Aug 3, 2009
    Lynn, Mass
    Saw a Cort Slammer in the window of a music store and fell in love.

I've since moved on to long-scale basses.

19. my little brother took up guitar so i had to outdo him at something similar. then i saw folk implosion - natural one on mtv when they played videos (think it was "buzz worthy" or whatever), and the bass on that track is really cool, and something i could play pretty quickly.

i started in 7th grade, which is decently young, but im going to be one of those parents that forces their kids to play an instrument or two early on. hopefully that doesnt backfire. who knows, not looking to change diapers for about a decade.

20. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    I didn't choose. :D