1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did you decide to play bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r6mile, Apr 1, 2006.

1. I liked the sound of a bass and basslines

59 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. I didn't want to play guitar like everyone else

36 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. I liked the shape and size of a bass and its strings

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. I liked the bassist of a band

18 vote(s)
    19.1%
  5. Someone forced me

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. Other

23 vote(s)
    24.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Please explain.

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I started playing guitar. I didn't know what a bass was. My deaf brother got a bass. I was intruiged. He quit playing and, before he sold his bass, let me try it out. I was hooked.

3. Billy Gould.

4. i started hanging out with a kid that played guitar and loved it, and his band was falling apart because of the shotty bassist. He had a bass and since i was really interested since i was a kid to start playing, he let me borrow it and taught me how to play some ramones songs and easy punk songs. It was a memphis P bass. I loved that bass but eventually had to give it back.

that was why i started playing.. and just because after picking it up i loved the sound, the feel, and everything about playing bass

i wasnt "forced" to play, i was just asked, and it turned out i didnt want to play guitar.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Grade 7 Bigband, we had to choose an instrument. I chose bass because my brother had a bass lying around in his room not being used. I eventually sold that peice of crap.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You forgot "Because I'm a failed guitarist":rollno:

I've told this before. I've been playing guitar for 30 years, still do. I have a Marshall JCM 2000, 2 PRS's and.......
    Anyway, I was teaching a beginner Bassist some lines. Was having fun. Went out and got me one, took some lessons so I could be a Bassist and Guitar player rather than a Guitar player who can play Bass and the rest is History, and I'm a lot poorer.:help:

7. I liked the bassist of a band (Twiggy from Marilyn Manson) and I really liked the sound of the bass.

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    My friend already played drums, his buddy played guitar; we just needed bass.

I started playing with Mother Freedom, Innagaddadavida, I'm a Man, Smoke on the Water...

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

Cliff Burton was a BAMF, and my friend who played guitar said play bass and we'll get our own band going (we never did).

I'm so glad i did though... way prefer the bass to guitar.

10. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Just always gravitated toward the rhythmic aspect of bass... cool basslines from people like Paul McCartney helped.

That and it just seemed that there were (even back in the day...) already way too many guitarists!:smug:

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sid Vicious.

Seriously, though, I played tuba in band in high school, so the natural instrument for me to pursue was bass. I tried it, loved it, and haven't looked back since.

12. Just a question: Has any of you regretted at some point the decision of playing bass instead of another instrument? (I haven't and I don't think I will, but I was just wondering)

13. I started playing out of interest - I had done both keyboards and guitar, so I thought "bass is easy, if I learn how to do a bit of it at college that'll be another instrument I can play" - I'd heard Joy Divisions "She's Lost Control" and found out that high thing playing the riff was actually bass...I was like "I gotta try that!" (I actually took it up so I'd have an excuse to get a little Squier Bronco actually...)

I started playing it with a plectrum, and my teacher said "no, use your fingers, like this..." and I'm like "ah, you play it like that do ya? - I've seen a FEW people playing it like that..." then he said "well this is the proper technique"

Then it turned out I was just a natural, and better at bass than I was guitar and keyboards so I switched to bass as my main study instrument...and it still is! I very rarely play with a plectrum if I can help it - I've just got so used to playing with fingers, and you don't get NASTY hand cramps that way!

I do sometimes think "what if...?" but I know I can always find something if I'm on bass. I do occaisionally do a bit of guitar in my band for the odd song (I'm a better guitarist than our singer who's been doing the guitar in my band since we started up...like me, he's an ex keyboardist by trade) - but I'm out of practice...I gave one of the guitarists on my degree a real shock when someone asked me to do some guitar for them - "hanging on the telephone"...the fast rhythm/lead stuff in the chorus... - he admits he's not that good, but the thought that I may be better than him makes me feel goodl! (we're both on the 3rd year and graduating in a couple months)

14. THE BASS LINE FROM SMOKE ON THE WATER SPOKE TO ME.

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Basically because I liked the sound of it, and when I was younger I admired players like Geddy Lee and Sting who sang, played bass, and fronted bands.

16. shaggysivirus

shaggysivirus

Feb 19, 2006
    Me and my friends had been debating over what instrument to learn for some time. I was the only one who earned decent money so christmas 2004 I bought my cousin's bass from him and began learning. Nowadays its almost an obsession and I love the many possibilities of it. I don't need a guitar. I'd like to work with some guitar players who play my sort of music but its not essential for me.

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I started playing bass because the orchestra teacher said she "didn't need any more Ringos".

Pops said, "Play bass and you'll always have a gig".

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mark King. Heard him, and it was "Game Over"! :hyper:

19. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Started with classical guitar, gravitated towards bass, 'cuz it has the groove, baby!

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My older brother played guitar.
    I got sick of him getting mad at me, for touching his guitar.
    Saved money and went out and bought my own bass.