1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do I hang at TalkBass while at work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassguppy, Nov 2, 2006.

1. My workplace has no specific policy regarding web surfing at work and no method to track web use. I get my work done, but could probably do more but I find myself lurking on TalkBass probably 1-2 hours a day.

Should I feel guilty? :)

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm guilty of the same thing, too. But trust me, they do have the means to find out where you're going on the net.

3. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    This means I'm in BIG trouble. :meh:

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I now work at the school library. so once I stock the shelves and sort crap out, they told me,

"You're free to use MSN or whatever you want."

I sit at the front desk, so when people come, I open the program, scan the books and I'm back on talkbass!

Damn you Paul and your addicting forum!

-Mark

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    im on TB all the time at school. whenever im in a lab class i usually already know the stuff, so i just surf the web while everyone is learning how to use the programs.

i love TB.

6. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Likewise ....

I open TB when I get in each morning, and I pop in and out all day long. A quick peek and I'm back to business ..... :cool:

7. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    No comment!

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    def not man. Talkbass is one of the few awesome things on the internet not NSFW ; )

9. I'm here more than I should be. In fact I probably spend more time online here at work then I do playing my bass at home in the evenings.

Sad it is. :crying:

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    TalkBass is educational! Besides, there are MUCH worse sites out there to be hanging on. This is the first forum site where I have been this involved. Must be all the smart people here. Unlike many others I can relate to just about all topics.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...and that's why we work so hard to keep it that way.

I'm posting this from work, but I'm on break for two more minutes. :cool:

12. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I am at a computer all day so would jump on for an hour a day.

Now that i got my wireless card working, i can evade the network police weehoo

13. I don't have internet at home, so the only time I am on TB, I am at work.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Feel no guilt. But it's obvious, there are few chat places worthy of hangin' out. TalkBass is one of them.

15. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Well, I'm a full time student, so when I'm doing schoolwork on the computer, it's almost impossible not to go on TB. Maybe I need to start a thread on TB for TB intervention.:hyper:

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've had the habit lately of going into the computer room at work and checking my mail and of course I'll check out subscribed threads, but it's rather rare.

This is the only forum I hang out on. I used to visit drum forums, but you know how it is hanging around a bunch of drummers :)

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, they do. Well, unless you work for some small office with a couple employees, and no IT department.

-Mike

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My company does have a policy on internet use - but it allows "hobby" sites and "personal learning" - which to me covers TB!! :)

.... when I started out - maybe 6- 8 years ago, I felt guilty - but now - well if I've been doing it that long....;)

19. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    holy crap, are we all tech employees that regularly check TB for interesting threads!?!

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup - I've often mentioned that the typical TB member is somebody who works on a PC all day and also has an interest in bass playing!

Of course there are a few exceptions, who are actually full-time bass players/musicians - but I think the bulk of the regulars are PC drones...;)