Why do I have fever for Alembic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I want a small body short scale series I or II so bad also an Orion 6 or Europa 6. Why is this. I guess I just know they are the original exotic bass. I have only played one for a very short time but it just seemed to have it all. Playability, flexibility, and tone tone tone. The one I played on was an Orion 5 and a 75 series I long scale.
  2. Nothing to be ashamed of, and very understandable! The Orion is a very underrated beast, simply the most natural sounding bass you'll ever encounter. The Series basses are serious tone monsters. And Alembic IS the original boutique bass builder, and that mojo comes at no extra charge. Secondhand Alembics offer superb bang for buck, only buy new if it's exactly what you want. Go for it, and enjoy!
  3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

do you mean besides having great taste? :D
  4. I finally got a short-scale Series 2 a few months ago, and it's even better than you can imagine. Heh heh.
    Hey, uh, is that '75 long-scale for sale? Where?
    Sick and loving it,
  5. Congrats, I think I might be able to imagine as I had a 1980 series I short scale to play for a couple of months and I was hooked within 2 minutes of picking it up. Believe it or not the top laminate was actually made from recylced pieces of one of Mozart's harpsichords. There was this museum fire in france in the 70's, and long story short 14 almebics out there have "mozart's wood." Having his wood in my hands was just amazing, ahem.

So did you go ebay or what? Im planning on a series or sc deluxe someday soon (soon being next few years :) ). Cant decide if I like the small standard or the omega body shape better. I think the omega is prettier and just has that monster alembic look, but the small standard has so much class.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Orion!? Good Man...:D
  7. Yep! Good man-great bass-mediocre player :D
  8. "Believe it or not the top laminate was actually made from recylced pieces of one of Mozart's harpsichords. There was this museum fire in france in the 70's, and long story short 14 almebics out there have "mozart's wood."
    You did NOT have to tell me that. :eek:
    Small Standards balance like hell, but they're the only serious model light enough for me to play.
  9. Pretty cool huh? I've been told it "may" be willed to me some day. Dont want to sound morbid so I won't say anything more about my fantasies regarding that!

This small standard had the batteries removed and a chunk of lead put in instead, helped the balance out quite a bit, but of course no passive output because of this.
  10. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have two Alembic short scales and love them. I want another, maybe a 5 or 6 strung high, but I need to save pesos first.
    Damn, I was gonna say that.
    My S1 came with some 'extra' holes drilled in it by a previous owner trying to get the balance better. One is on the back of the upper horn and recently I was fiddling wirh mine and decided to move the lower strap button up there. Using this and the original on the neck/body heel it balances perfectly in a 'one o'clock' position, which is perfect for the way I like to hold it anyway.
  11. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    i hear that. id get one so fast

i dont have the 7 grand to pay for it.

im thinking about getting a custom replica of one....the brown bass that is
  12. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    They regularly go for $2500 - 3000 on ebay
  13. If anyone knows the location of A USED Alembic series I or II SHORT scale six would you please email me via PM? I have a good buddy who's been wanting one and hasn't found anything on EBay over the past year. Thanks, Jim T.
  14. EDIT: apologies to Jim T. Didn't see that your post said your pal was looking for a short-scale sixer. Wish him luck for me--I only know of one similar, a former Bunnybass item (mebbe a MK Standard) that popped up on the 'Bay earlier this year. God only knows where it went.
    You're aware lead is not your friend, right? Just checking.
    Don't let the Wickershams hear you say that--I was joking about using duct tape to fix my strap at a better angle and got a reprimand.
    Using a suede-bottomed strap and wearing the bass above the belt buckle, I find it's pretty managable. But between the balance and sheer mass of the little bastid, it still wants to pull my spine and shoulders out of a healthy playing position.
    I had to join a jazz band so I could play it sitting down!
  15. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Who cares what the Wickershams think? It's <b>my</b> bass after all and it's about 500% more comfortable the way it is now.
  16. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I have an '80 S2 long scale-I almost put it up on eBay after lending it to my brother for a few months since I wasn't really playing it that often. Now, I have it back- I don't think I can ever part with it.
  17. heh heh..i had my first alembic experience today...all i gotta say now is taht i have MAJOR gas for a mark king sig omega...it was so perfect for me..i love the larger body, the electronic, the neck is just simply amazing...32" of course...i so wish my band gets this cruise ship gig..will get me plenty of money for a brand new one
  18. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    heath...I could see you having your way with this one too!

19. i actually got to play the 8 string entwhistle tribute today..beautiful.....as well as a 4 string epic, excell and a 5 string essence... but i fell in love the mark king and the epic...i even thoght for a seccond of selling the kubicki to get the mark king :help: :ninja: but i saw the evil of my ways and started drooling at the thought of owning a kubicki and the mark king....we still need that drool emoticon..but i admit the spyder was pretty cool and comfy....but i prefer the mark king...was perfect
  20. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I've been gassing for an Epic 5 for some time. There's a new old stock '97 model in a shop near where I live. Its been hanging there for almost 7 years! The only thing holding me back is the handful of mediocre/negative reviews lingering around here on TB from past owners of the Epic...
    ...well, that and the price (which is why I suspect the bass hasn't sold after all these years).