1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do "WE"...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc DLarosa, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    ...well... WHY DO some of You need to have "better/nicer" basses, than the PLAYERS that didn't NEED to have a "boutique/custom", in order to get "their SOUND" that You're "chasing?"

Not putting anyone, on "the spot." Just curious...

I "HOPE" that this thread ENDS SOON, with... "TO GET THE SOUND THAT IS ALL MY OWN."

IamGroot, jamro217 and Doner Designs like this.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

There are users of expensive boutique instruments and stock cheap instruments at all levels, from absolute beginner to bass legend.
    I think people play what they want and/or can afford, regardless of achievements and/or what Mr Mc BassStar do.

knight of ni, BOOG, M0ses and 12 others like this.
  3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I don't. I get all the sounds I want out of my collection of used El Cheapos. :roflmao: Someone once thought he heard a Ric at the BluesHaus, only to come forward and stare googley eyed at my short scale Bronco clone (w/fresh rounds).

Ggaa, IamGroot, DJ Bebop and 7 others like this.
  4. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    This is NOT another CHEAP/VS/EXPENSIVE thread. Just to be CLEAR.

DJ Bebop, ejaggers and gebass6 like this.
  5. Marc, could be some folks think "better/nicer" will gloss over any shortcomings they may have while trying to "cop that tone",maybe it makes it easier.

I'm just throwing that in as a possible reason.

I sound like me no matter what I play. Choice of notes,frequency of ghost notes I use,stock phrases etc.
    All those define me much more than if I'm playing with a bright or dark tone.

DJ Bebop and Marc DLarosa like this.
  6. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    My point, EXACTLY!!! A player, is a PLAYER. A bass... is a BASS. Which is ONLY an EXTENSION of the PLAYER.
    Thank YOU.

Although... I must admit... I play "better" on a few of My basses, than others. NONE are 10k stuff, though (Yes, I've played/owned them).

7. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    so what is it then?

8. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    READ the thread, from the beginning.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You lost me.

el murdoque, TakeABreak, Beej and 9 others like this.
  10. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I just do what makes me happy. My heroes tones are their own.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You seem to be having an issue with your caps lock- might wanna have that looked at.

12. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Yea, it's a "Why do you use expensive basses, not cheap basses." :rollno:

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Because I'm super picky.

Many basses distract me when I play because they are uncomfortable or notes don't come out sounding the way I expect them or the output jack is in the wrong place and I can't simply lean it in a corner and walk away. All those thoughts get in the way of focusing on the music that I'm trying to play.

So I built a custom bass to my specs that I don't have to think about when I play.

14. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

1. I own what I own because I can.
    2. Why do you care?
    3. I must be bored. Time to find something more interesting/productive to do.

15. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    This is unfortunately worded as a "cheap vs expensive" thread with the caveat that it is not. If it wasn't, you would have made your original post something like:

"Why do you play the bass that you do? If you are trying to chase the particular tone of another player, why do you play a different bass than he?"

There are numerous reasons of course. Maybe someone likes the look of one bass. Maybe someone enjoys collecting expensive basses. Regarding the tone chasing, you might have answered your own question a couple posts down.

Every player is different. Maybe I like my sound with one particular bass better than the real McCoy. Although I doubt your premise that people wanting to sound like Sid Vicious are generally playing Foderas and Alembics.

I also wonder why threads about why people lie to themselves that cheap instruments are as good as expensive instruments are so uncommon. For me, it's because I don't really think about deriding other people for making different choices than myself.

bassfuser, TylerJ, bassbooty and 11 others like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I like potatoes, but only on Tuesdays...

... petitioning Congress to move Taco Tuesday to Thursday.

Wish me luck!

17. It's not?

18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

I choose a six string bass that's not retro paint,pickguard and chrome.
    I don't chase sounds or tones.
    I let the bass have it's own tone.
    As for price,they tend to be around $500.00 and used.

19. Because we listen with our eyes as much as we listen with our ears.

IamGroot, Justinian and gebass6 like this.
  20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why are you YELLING?

klejst, TylerJ, TakeABreak and 17 others like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.