why do you play only a six string or higher?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I am curious about this, I play 4,5,6, and hav only played with a seven, never touched a nine, I think we have some TBers who only play 7 string:cool: I like the idea of playing straight up and down (horizontal) on the six strings:D but I find if I dont pick up a four from time to time, it throws me off a bit.:eek:
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't need a 4 string, i have it all and then some on my 7's and 8's. and i don't play a 7 so that i don't have to move my hand but rather for the myriad technical and range options that it opens up to me.
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Because that is all I have ;). Otherwise, I only play a six for the same reasons as John.
  4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    John, you know I forgot about 8 string basses! do the 8 string basses have eight seperate strings or are they four double strings? Could you please expand on the technical part for me as you said, maybe it would give me a few ideas, BTW, I thought you were one of the ones I was refering to but was not sure. The pics of your basses are SWEET:cool:
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they have 8 seperate strings, tuned on mine f#-b-e-a-d-g-b-e. some folks start on b and go up to Bb or a.

a few of the technical options that opened to me with the extended range instruments have much in common with classical guitar-styled playing. to of the more common things that i do are comping out a sort of "bass" line with the higher strings playing a melody or higher range rhythm part, and also just arpeggiating chord shapes that would not be possible on a 4 string. i build my basslines around ostinatos, repeating figures that give structural and harmonic support to a song through their reptition and motion.

many of the folks who play extended range instruments also tap on them, similar to stick-style playing, but tapping doesn't really have much of a use in my playing situation, with two guitar/guitar-synth players.
  6. like JT, I use the extended range to create different textures and to keep my options open. I like that my instruments will always challenge me and that there will always be something for me to work on from a purely technical level.

from the low end,

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Me too. Haven't seriously touched a 4 (besides upright) since I sold my last one almost two years ago, after I got the ole sayvohn.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think a neat thing about 7 strings, 8 strings and beyond...is that(with certain tunings) you have the entire range of a 4 string, in 1st position.

that's :cool:
  9. I dunno, I always see people talk about the amount of notes in first position but I'm not sure that I've ever seen an extended range bassist really play that way a lot(with a group). Know of anyone? I'm interested in if their tone is strong enough in the low positions to support the other instruments fully, that's always been my problem. It sure comes in handy having all those notes in one position when it comes time to solo though. Horizontal shifting gets scary when the tempo starts to creep up :D
  10. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Way more fun to play.