1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Do You Prefer a Jazz Over a Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Tone? Neck? Look? Just askin'...

I swapped my P for a J and am happy with the choice for my present situation... but I'm interested in hearing about how these two are viewed in an A/B setting.

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Just about everything, the neck on P's is just uncomfortable to me feels to fat in my tiny girly hands.
    Tone, I have yet to get the brightness I like out of my P.

Playing is just smoother on a J.

3. I'm in agreement about the 'smooth' thing- I think the neck and the larger body contribute to that.

4. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.

^ This.

5. its much easier to find a 5 string J. i roll to the neck pickup to get a P vibe anyway.

6. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    IME Jazz basses are much more tonally diverse than P basses. Never was a fan of single-pickup instruments.

7. InLeoWeTrust

InLeoWeTrust

Nov 11, 2009
    Idaho
    Neck, balance, versatility, looks, and sometimes the tone. But sometimes I just gotta have that P tone. . .

8. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    I don't.
    I like a combination of the two. The body of a P ... then neck of a J ... and the pickups of both. (if I had to choose PU's ... I'd go jazz or a double P)

9. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    Does it count that I don't? Each is it's own thing, the primary deciding factor as to which one goes to the gig is... which has the newest strings.

10. Atticus

Atticus

May 26, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    P bass necks are too uncomfortable, but J bass pups can't nail the thick P tone. If I took the neck from a J and stuck it on a P, then maybe I'd be happy, but that leaves me with a neck I hate and a body that is only passable. This is why I don't like Fenders. Well, that and the machine head arrangement on their 5ers.

11. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Tonal diversity in a bass-heavy band. I'm no longer in that band, and am stuck with a Jazz bass.

Otherwise I'd have a P.

:D

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    If I had to choose only one thing, balance for sure...

13. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I can't decide. I choose both.
    I like a P body and a J neck best, but straight P & J are cool too.

attachment.

attachment.

14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Really everything

Most imporant

- Tone of the pickups (better highs and not so honky-like)
    - The feel of the neck slimmer easier for me to move around

Followed by

- Body contour
    - Esthetically speaking of the instrument itself (I love blocks and binding)
    - The players I dig are J guys not P guys (Very little to do with this...but just saying)

I'm a J guy for 4 strings and I love them I have something silly like 6 at the moment...LOL

15. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Simply because I don't like the P-bass sound much. Actually, my favourite "P-bass" tone comes from the old, passive BB series from Yamaha.

16. I would imagine that, although most won't admit it, it's because <ENTER FAVORITE BASSIST'S NAME HERE> plays one. Same for any bass really.

That's why I started playing one, then I fell in love with the tone, feel and look of them.

17. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I like the range of a J, and the neck. However I do miss that P split coil pickup. A bass I have on order is a P/J with a neck I know I'll like. I believe that will hit the spot.

18. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I love P's neck and I think a P looks better on me than a J Bass. But the J bass is more versatile for me, it sounds ""better""

19. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Despite the fact that a few of the players I admire from the early 70's played P's I can never get a tone I like out of them, Jazz's on the other hand, I get plenty of tones I like from them, and as an added bonus they tend to cut through the rather Bass heavy sound that my band has much better.

20. mainly for the slim neck, plus I love the tone and the body lines - best bass ever