Why does my bass keep buzzing no matter what I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dophire, Nov 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dophire

Dophire

Nov 28, 2022
    I've tried everything, my strings are literally 5 mm from the fretboard and are still buzzing no matter how much I keep turning the truss rod or messing with the bridge. I've watched like 6 videos so far on how to set it up and at this point I'm convinced that the buzzing isn't because of me but because the bass might have been horribly engineered. I'm completely hopeless at this point, please tell me if I'm missing maybe missing anything here, I understand that setting up an instrument takes patience and time but this just has to be the most frustrating thing that I've ever been through. And by the way, I don't think luthiers even exist in my city so I can't really even have it professionally set up. The bass is a Yamaha TRBX174 for anyone wondering.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Could be any number of things including a bad string install for starts. Pics would help as we need a modicum of detail. Any other bass players in your area?

Riis

3. Dophire

Dophire

Nov 28, 2022
    What specific parts of the bass would you need pictures of? And no, I can't think of anyone who who I would know that plays bass, but I do know some guitar players.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nut slots poorly cut or cut too deep?
    Loose parts on bridge?
    Bridge slots poorly cut?
    Rattling truss rod?
    Loose control parts rattling with vibration?

It’s not a poorly engineered instrument so you’ll need to do some sleuthing. Before you can stop the rattling you need to determine exactly what is rattling.

monti2889 and RSBBass like this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The whole damn thing stem-to-stern, various angles, aerial photos, etc. just for an overall assessment...then we'll go from there after ruling-out the simple stuff.

It's sometimes easier to hand it off to someone who maintains his own gear and / or knowledgeable in this arena.

How much relief do you have on-board for starters?

Riis

6. Dophire

Dophire

Nov 28, 2022
    I got some shots, tell me if you need any more angles

Attached Files:

7. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Take it to a tech. Is this your first attempted setup?
    You say you've tried everything, time for a pro to solve it.

There are way too many variables to figure it out from pictures.

Normally I recommend DIY for setups, but you said you're stuck.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

mcnach likes this.
  8. I see nothing really bad on your pictures. Looks like a nice bass with a bit high action. To narrow down the choices:
    -does it buzz when played through amp, does it buzz the same when unplugged?

-does it buzz on all strings?

-does it buzz on lowest tones/middle part/high up the fretboard on each string?

9. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    To add more: where does it buzz? On high/low notes, specific position, or all ower the neck?
    Please check if there is a gap between the string and frets while holding E string at fret 9 and the last fret, this will help to identify if the ski-jump hasn't developed.

10. Bolt on neck? Loosen strings, re-tighten neck screws, retune.

Element Zero likes this.
  11. I'm not sure I like the way the E string "sits" in that saddle (nor the G string, for that matter)

Bigguy2017 and LiptonJigglers like this.
  12. Dophire

Dophire

Nov 28, 2022
    On the first 5 frets it doesn't really buzz as much but other than that it sounds more like a bee colony than a bass

13. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    This and your last photo make me think that the neck is back bowed. Since you haven’t figured out how to correct this yourself, it’s time to find someone experienced to help you.

LiptonJigglers and Element Zero like this.
  14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Fresno California
    Couple things… could be the springs under the pickup height adjustment screws, could be loose tuner pegs, could be loose strap buttons, try checking all the screws holding down the bridge and make sure they’re tight, the screws on the string tree retainer, neck bolt screws tight…

I’ll agree with a poster above about the neck maybe back bowed… when you’re not playing it, do you leave it in a case? On a stand? Leaning against an amp? Personally I’d readjust the truss rod so the neck was as flat as possible with the strings to tune and look down the neck from the bridge. Is there a hump or a dip right around where the neck meets the body?

15. Dophire

Dophire

Nov 28, 2022
    I did some digging on google and apparently because my truss rod adjustment thingy is at the end of the neck, to fix the back bow I actually have to take the neck completely off and then somehow adjust it??? I guess a guitar tech really is my only hope after finding out that piece of information lol

16. If the neck is backbowed, and I can’t really tell from the pictures, your truss rod adjustment is right there at the body. No need to remove the neck. It should be a 4 or 5mm hex key.

8F82DA82-C43C-4DD4-8E28-116F9C2F3DC1.jpeg

Killing Floor likes this.
  17. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Since buzz is on the higher part, then the most likely reason is ski-jump.
    You can read a pro thread here: Getting the Facts about Ski Jumps
    Long story short - the best option is thermal treatment e.g. warpedneck.com

18. Dan Bone

Dan Bone

Apr 4, 2021
    Its hard to tell in the pic. Is it an illusion or are your "E" and "A" strings not sitting flush at the bridge? Are they cocked and sitting on the intonation screw? Not sure .... not sure that it matters .... but its the only thing (odd) that I see.

19. I also think it's a ski jump issue. The neck is set and bent so that the frets are too high near the body, so no matter where you fret you're pushing the strings into those frets.

Fixing it is probably not impossible, but hoo boy it'd be easier to take it to a tech to get it sorted. This is a muti step precess and that's if everything goes well.

Anthony Buckeridge likes this.