1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does my bass sounds so good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ronbeast, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Ok,so heres something I've found really weird about my newest bass,its a P-bass that is made of a whole pile of different parts of other basses,some of the hardware is even homemade.The bass is made of a fully loaded body I got on the bay ,and a neck that I also bought on Ebay ,the body and neck cost about $100 and were both purchased from a no-name company.I had to repaint the body and while getting the finish done I accidentally got dust,paint,and steel wool filings on the hardware and electronics .the neck has a slight bow in it but is still payable and i shielded the entire control cavity.What I want to know is if my bass has so many defects why is it my best sounding bass? It can't be my amp setup or effects because I don't own any effects pedals and I play through a 15 watt fender frontman15b.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Character beats precision/perfection. Congrats on lovin' the sound of the bass you invested time into.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

What are your other basses? Maybe they're crap?

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA

uh, ok... what are you comparing it to?

edit: rick Auricchio beat me to the punch....

5. My other basses are a modded Cort gb44,and an Ibanez Sr300fm.And I've also played plenty of fenders,gibsons,washburns,sadowskys,musicmans and alot of other basses,but this bass just sounds and feels good.

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Maybe you should build some more basses using the same parts and making the same mistakes. If they all sound fantastic, you have a "magical touch" and should be building these for everyone. Send one to Geddy Lee. If it's really that great, he will play your bass and tell everyone it is better than the Fender Geddy Lee model. Then you could sell them for lots of $$$ and get very rich.

Or maybe it's just the best sounding bass YOU have, and it's not really that great compared to real good basses.

7. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    i have no skepticism towards this i'm sure your bass sounds/plays great. congratulations, pics? :)

8. Well,I guess I've been told...

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Why do people have to be pissy because he likes what he built out of parts?

Bass history is littered with basses that were assumed to be crappy and somehow sounded fantastic.

To most of you something isn't worth a crap unless it costs more than a decent used car.

Get over yourselves and your high dollar gear.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    What you have there is a Frankenstein Bass.

You seem to be very pleased with it.
    There are others like you.
    They even have a club here. :)

If it feels like it works and it sounds like it works then it works.

Congrats on the creation and good luck with it.

And experiment some more with it, you could perhaps make another great sounding bass. Doesn't matter to who it sounds great to.

EDIT: yeah, pictures. This thread is useless without pictures. :)

11. Pics will be up as soon as I get a Seymour duncan quarter pounder to put in it and maybe a gotoh 201 bridge,or a Badass as it seems to be the craze nowadays.I'm gonna put a black pickguard on it too,so it will be all black with a maple fretboard.

12. I built the bass for under $300 Canadian dollars so I suppose it would be subject to insult,plus I'm only 15 and built this bass out of a workshop that wasn't equipped with any of the right tools.

13. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Question: Why are you changing all that hardware if your existing setup is the best sounding thing ever?

You do realize that, changing the pickup and the bridge will affect your tone tremendously, right?

14. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    No you're not.
    Just because some people refuse to believe it doesn't make your opinion on your bass unworthy.

I'm interesting in seeing it.

Don't damper your spirits. :)

+1

15. Perhaps I won't change the hardware,guess I just had a moment of weakness and thought that better hardware=better bass.Thanks for helping me realize this.

16. FoldingInBass

FoldingInBass

Aug 5, 2008
    Happy accidents are great in writing music and in making musical instruments. Congratulations on the awesome instrument

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think it is GREAT to see a guy put up a post about a inexpensive axe that he loves! The bass world needs more players who are satisfied with their gear who then focus on the REAL part of this thing: Playing music.

18. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I don't believe a bass or a player should be subjected to insults due to the look of their instrument or the price tag. That's a bunch of nonsense.

The idea that you have to spend thousands to be professional is total BS.

I am all for people spending whatever they want, getting boutiques and custom jobs, etc. as long as they don't look down their nose at some poor schmoe like you or me who might not happen to have boatloads of disposable income.

I've been at this game about 30 years now. There are cheap basses that are pieces of crap and cheap basses that will beat the pants off things that cost twelve times more.

There are basses that cost thousands that are among the most incredible instruments you'd ever want to play or hear, and basses that cost thousands that are nothing special at all and really suck terribly, especially at that price opint.

The good thing is, you got a good cheapie that you put some sweat into. If it pleases you, that's all that matters, and unlike a bass that costs $1200 and up, with this one you don't have to worry if it gets a little dinged up or even lost or seriously damaged. No great financial loss.

Also-- as far as swapping out the bridge and pup and all. If you think it sounds killer, why tinker? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You don't need to start replacing hardware and electronics just because it's fun and lots of other people do it.

19. Thanks for all of the supportive replies,I will try and get some decent pics soon but I can't find the camera as of right now :meh:

20. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    One of the best days any bass player can have is the day that he is satisfied with his tone!