1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does my bass still need a battery when the preamp is off?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tazthewonderdog, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I have an Ibanez GSR200 with two pickups and a preamp- now, everyone I've talked to have said I should be able to play it without a battery in as long as I keep the preamp knob turned all the way down.
    It doesn't work.
    the bass doesn't make a sound when the battery's out.
    Just curious.

2. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    The Gsr runs an active pre amp only, that is there is no switch to change it to a "passive" option or one that can be used without a battery.

As for the "preamp knob" it is probably just a volume/blend knob that would only serve to change volume level/control which pickups are being picked up by the preamp and have no change on whether the preamp is engaged or not.

If you want the option to play without a battery you would either have to mod the existing preamp to accept a bypass switch, which would allow it to be passive, but a new preamp with one of these switches preinstalled, or rewire the bass, removing the preamp completely.

Hope this helped and if u need any more info feel free to PM me

3. Helped a lot, thanks!

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Why would you want to take the battery out anyway?

That's like wanting to unplug your amp and wondering if it will sound better. ;)

Some basses have a bypass switch, but none have a "preamp knob".

5. Actually, how the GSR200 preamp is set up (STUPIDLY) it only actually has one knob for the active preamp. It has Bridge vol, Neck vol, Tone and a single knob for the 2 band preamp.

Technically, there is a preamp knob, as its a stupid preamp. I took it out of my GSR200 and am converting it to a fully passive P bass.

Liam

6. What makes that stupid?

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's a (PHAT-II) bass boost knob, not a preamp knob.

I'd rather have bass and treble controls, but I don't see how making it passive is better.

8. As stated, I was just curious about why it wasn't working.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, the preamp is still on, just not boosting, when that knob is turned down. the entire signal goes through it either way, so it has to be powered up to work.

10. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Who were you talking too? Brutal source...